Post FMT and probiotics questions

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Maddy
New User

Post FMT and probiotics questions

Postby Maddy » Sat May 21, 2016 2:49 pm

I had an FMT about two months ago and have been doing ok since the procedure. I was diagnosed with post- infectious IBS and that has been controlled with a low FODMAP and gluten free diet (very exciting). I recently started to work with a nutritionist who recommended VSL 3. I've read great things about it, and started it a few days ago. ( I also take florastor). Since starting the VSL 3 I have noticed gas and abdominal cramping and I've lost about four pounds. I became very underweight from the cdiff so this is not the direction that I want to go in. Last night the gas and abdominal cramping got very intense. Has anyone else experienced this? My diet has been pretty consistent so I don't think it's from food.

Thanks so much,

Maddy

roy
Administrator

Re: Post FMT and probiotics questions

Postby roy » Sat May 21, 2016 3:00 pm

Probiotics are trial and error.
Wont cause a relapse but can cause gut upset in some people.
I would stop it and see if my symptoms improved.
Some Drs say not to take probiotics after FMT as they are only temporary but take up the receptors that the newly seeded gut bacteria wants to make its permanent home.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 21, 2016 3:48 pm

I take VSL#3, but I only take a small part of a capsule. If I take a whole capsule, I would get D and lots of GI symptoms. If I don't take any, I have symptoms too. I can't take Florastor at all - get terrible gas and bloating, a rash, and loose bms. If you started both of these at the same time, then I would stop one and take a small amount of the other and see what happens. If you've been taking the Florastor all along without issues, then you know that it is not the Florastor, and I would cut way back on the VSL#3 an just try a small amount. I put mine on a teaspoon with applesauce and I have not had issues with it when I take a very small amount. And I mean a small amount. One capsule lasts me for days.

Maddy
New User

Postby Maddy » Sat May 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Thank you for the replies, that's very helpful. As of tonight I am having pretty bad diarrhea and am scared that I'm having a recurrence. I have not taken the VSL since last night. It is VSL 3 DS and I took a quarter tablespoon.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun May 22, 2016 1:05 am

I had problems with probiotics as well but not D, only bloating and excessive gas , the only probiotic that helped me was saccharomyces boulardii. If you feel like you are dealing with a relapse and D doesn't slow down or gets really bad you should give your doctor a call and ask to be tested , for CDiff and other pathogens. If you can't see your doctor then go to ER . Drink lots of fluids , water , smart water for electrolytes , bone broth and peppermint tea as they can calm down the gut.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun May 22, 2016 5:40 am

If the D continues today get a Drs advice.

Maddy
New User

Postby Maddy » Mon May 23, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi everyone,

Thank you all so much for your replies. Happily, the diarrhea stopped. That was Saturday and now it's Monday and so far everything today, and most of Sunday, has been normal. I stopped the VSL and feel better and I have a dr.'s appt. Wednesday. This incident really scared me.

Hope everyone is feeling good and is healthy.

Maddy

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue May 24, 2016 12:54 am

I'm so glad you are feeling better Maddy . It seems that not all probiotics agree with you so you might be better off of them . You don't even need them since you have received a superior probiotic when you had the infusion. Hope you continue to feel better!

Return to “FMT Discussion”