watery diarrhea few hours post FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
kcaliber
Brand New Poster

watery diarrhea few hours post FMT

Postby kcaliber » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:08 pm

I just had my FMT after battling c-diff for a few months. I "kept it in" for about two hours but then i couldn't control it anymore and boy, i feel like I'm in bowel prep all over again. Has anyone experienced this, It's it normal? I've had two watery episodes of D since the FMT 5 hours ago. I'm afraid ive lost all the donor stool but im not sure that's even possible. Any thoughts?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: watery diarrhea few hours post FMT

Postby beth22 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:43 am

Yes, it is normal. They put it in as a liquid and that is how it comes out. As long as you kept it in for about an hour, that should be ok. The stool still coats your intestines with good bacteria on its way out. I would not worry.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:52 am

Hi Kcaliber
Welcome to the site , sorry you are dealing with Cdiff.Be sure to read the first forum for rules of posting.
Congratulations for FMT , they have the highest cure rate . You didn't mention what kind of FMT you had : trough scope , enema , naso-gastric tube. Sorry you couldn't keep it in more , I guess the prep was still working , and yes it usually comes out liquid , because the saline cannot be absorbed in just two hours.Don't be discouraged , there were many people that could not hold in the donor stool but their transplant still did the trick.I've read that one poster kept it just 15 min and still got cured. Be optimistic and think positive , you will beat this!

kcaliber
Brand New Poster

Postby kcaliber » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:24 am

I had a colonoscopy FMT. Im still having mucous in my stool and still going often. The doctor said give it time. Its discouraging to have symptoms immediately after the procedure but im guessing its normal or the c-diff is being pushed out...ill give it the time they say before i start to worry. I suppose the battlefield is in my mind right now. Has anyone has a successful FMT with continued symptoms? Im sure im not the only one! Thank you for the encouragement!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:20 am

This is typical. I had the symptoms of IBS - but tested negative - for weeks after a FMT. Went to the UK for older son's wedding and was miserable but got through it. Gradually, I improved.

Be sure and ask doc about diet. Does he/she recommend fiber?? Many think it encourages growth of good bacteria.

Love the expression "battlefield of the mind." So true. Hang in there,

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun May 01, 2016 1:18 am

The colonoscopy FMT has the highest cure rate , but like all FMT's is not a miracle cure , you should see improvement as time goes by.Of course you are not the only one that has symptomes even if FMT was successful , i am in the same , i'm almost 6 months out from my FMT and still have lots of issues but i'm slowly getting better.Good luck!

Return to “FMT Discussion”