Solution for Post-infectious IBS-D

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
richlin
Regular Contributor

Solution for Post-infectious IBS-D

Postby richlin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:43 pm

Based on this study patients with IBS-D are missing or have an abundance of certain bacteria. I've been looking at my own ubiome test after FMT and noticed they are highly correlated to the study. Namely, I'm completely missing Methanobacteria which causes constipation in IBS-C. However, since I'm missing Methanobacteria I've been leaning more on the IBS-D side. The only way to replace this bacteria is through a fecal transplant. No known probiotic exists for it.

However, it is possible to use prebiotics to grow Methanobacteria because they enjoy eating Polysaccharides which are (rice, corn, potatoes, apples pears, in the covering of whole grains like wheat bran and in plant leaves like spinach) - pretty much anything starchy. Isn't it interesting how those types of foods usually help bulk up our stool?

Specifically the symptoms we have with IBS are tied directly to the following bacteria:

Sensation of flatulence (↑Blautia)
Abdominal pain (↑Bacteroides, Ruminoccocus, unknown Barnesiellaceae)
Abdominal relief (↑Prevotella, Catenibacterium)

IBS-D - higher Ruminococcaceae and unknown Clostridiales
less dominant ones such as Erysipelotrichaceae and Methanobacteriaceae.

Methanobacteria (↑constipation)

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 693-f7.jpg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4523847/
Last edited by richlin on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roy
Administrator

Re: Solution for Post-infectious IBS-D

Postby roy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:51 pm

The FDA banned FMT for treating IBS for a very good reason.
Nobody dies of IBS.
Plenty die of c.diff and other pathogens!
Your a classic example of why the FDA banned it!

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:10 pm

@roy I don't know if you act rude for rude's sake.

I just figured it might be helpful to see the reasons we suffer from GI symptoms. Just cause no one dies from IBS doesn't mean there shouldn't be treatment targeted at the root cause. Some people with IBS have symptoms which highly effect their quality of life. Are you saying they shouldn't have access to experimental treatment?

The only way for the FDA to give up their hold on using FMT for IBS is to find specific, targeted treatments that are highly efficacious in treating all subtypes of IBS. I believe research like the one I posted and citizen contributions will push new and useful treatments for IBS down the healthcare pipeline.

BTW. I'm not advocating that if you have IBS-D to go and get a fecal transplant right away. There are options. Also if you read the article on the last paragraph of the discussion header you'll notice the authors of the study suggesting that FMT may be able to help these types of patients which are missing the methanobacteria.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:37 pm

Richlin,
Roy has warned you, NanciT has warned you, i have warned you. You continue to post constantly with medical (?) theories and complaints about C diff, the site, and it's moderators. You have posted 9 or 10 times a day many times. You have been a member for six weeks - long enough to learn the rules of the site. Read them again and follow them or you are off the site as a poster. Final warning.

I hope you have a job with co-workers, friends, or family members to support you. Wishing you the best BUT no more site violations!

Enough!

Return to “FMT Discussion”