Scheduled for my FMT tomorrow

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Roberta
New User

Scheduled for my FMT tomorrow

Postby Roberta » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi, I've posted a few times since I contracted c diff last October. I just finished a 25 day course of Dificid (all the others failed) and made a decision that I was not going to wait to see if the c diff will return so opting for the FMT to hopefully put this nightmare behind me.

I'm scheduled for the procedure tomorrow and am a bit nervous.

I've read every post I could find on the site and guess I'm looking for some reassurance. I have not suffered like many with severe D or IBS symptoms from c diff. Mainly urgency and lots of M when it's active and before the meds kick in. So I am wondering if the FMT in itself will cause IBS? If I don't have it now I am hoping it will not cause it.

I am hoping and praying this will cure me. I guess only time will tell.

Thank you,
Roberta

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Scheduled for my FMT tomorrow

Postby georgina » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:04 am

Hi Roberta
Glad you decided to have an FMT it has a high cure rate. Actually the 25 days of Dificid can be your magic bullet , but topped up with a FMT i'm sure it will be a huge success.What kind of FMT are you going to do: via naso-gastric tube , enema , colonoscopy?It is possible to be left with IBS after FMT , but trust me , IBS it's not so debilitating like CDiff , and you learn to live with it.Good luck and keep us posted!

Roberta
New User

Postby Roberta » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi georgina,

I am having via colonoscopy. 2:30 this afternoon. The bowel prep is miserable but I'm so excited that this may be the last of my cdiff horror. It's been a long 5 months.

I will post my progress.

This site has truly been my lifeline. Not sure how I would have coped without it!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:16 pm

Good luck to you, Roberta! Let us know how you do!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Good luck, Roberta. For some, FMT is a miracle cure and works immediately. It takes longer for others. Be sure and ask doc about eating fiber.,

Best to you.

Roberta
New User

Postby Roberta » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:08 am

I had the FMT. Don't remember too much as the sedation knocked me out. I've been sleeping for much of the evening but was able to hold in the transfer until 10:30 pm (my procedure was 2:30 pm this afternoon). Hope that is a good long time. When I went to the washroom I passed pure brown liquid. Not really unsimilar to the consistency and speed of exit of the moviprep. I assume this is normal? My stomach is making a ton of noise. I will say I was so hungry after my procedure that I ate a grilled chicken sandwich and fries on the way home from the hospital. I didn't have any food intolerances with cdiff so thought I would be ok. The doctor didn't mention about eating foods with fiber. I still feel a bit hazy from the meds which I also hope is normal.

I do hope the FMT in itself will not cause ibs as I've read a few posts on the site about this. I didn't have ibs before or really during c diff so hope I will be ok.

Thanks again to everyone who has provided such great support. I am remaining very positive.

Roberta

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:17 am

Eight hours is great. Everything sounds normal to me but check with your doc if you are concerned.

Many do not hav IBS -afterwards. I did but had it after every treatment altho had "guts of steel" before c diff

Glad it is over. Sleep well.

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:46 am

Robert,

Great to hear your procedure went as planned.

Having watery D right after the procedure is 100% common. I had the same issues. It's just the fecal transplant leaving your body. Unless you held it in for like 40 hrs and had food throughout the process the liquid wouldn't have become solid.

The hope is that in the next 1-2 days or the next movement will be a solid piece of stool. It'll probably bounce around tho with soft semi formed stools.

Fingers crossed you don't have IBS!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:34 am

Hi Roberta
Congrats on the FMT ,and the 8 hour hold , i hope it will do the trick for you.As for the brown liquid , what goes in , must come out.If it went in liquid , it will probably come out the same way , and gurgling is common after the FMT and so is excesive gas or cramps and bloating.IBS is also common after FMT , it's no fun but at least is not as debilitating as active CDiff . Hope you see improvement soon!

Return to “FMT Discussion”