Relapse or IBS?

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
richlin
Regular Contributor

Relapse or IBS?

Postby richlin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:37 pm

It's been close to a month since my colonoscopy FMT was really hoping of writing a success story but with my current symptoms can't say I'm out of the woods.

I'm not sure if I'm in a relapse. 7 days out of my FMT I had a negative GDH/Toxin but never did a PCR. My symptoms seem to be all over the place as my diet seems to influence it but I'm not 100% sure. With high fiber I noticed that I go to the loo around 4-5x a day with loose stools, yellow stools. If I don't eat any fiber whatsoever, I still go about 3x a day, soft yellow stools but more formed. The only problem is I'm super constipated (feeling the urge but can't push anything out) and incomplete evacuation.

I guess I won't know for sure until I get another c diff test. Is it possible to relapse after FMT even though I haven't been on antibiotics?

Maddy
New User

Re: Relapse or IBS?

Postby Maddy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi Richlin, sorry you're having a rough time of it, I hope that you are better by now.

I've been grappling with similar questions. I had an FMT 6 days ago and was doing well, but I was woken up this morning at 5 and again at 5:30 with an urgent need to go. What alarms me is the cramping and the cdiff odor. I don't know if it's a relapse, which is possible, or recovery. No D, but loose stools.

The doc says I have to give the FMT a chance.

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:54 pm

I'm def not back to normal.

I'm on amitrypline so I go to the loo about 2x/day, trying to get some Enteragram but was quoted $1300 so my GI is putting in a preauth/appeal (I'm hoping it'll help with my PI-IBS). However, I still have mucus at times and softer stools. I also haven't been able to fall asleep the past 7 days because of jet lag.

That being said, I've had a GDH/toxin that came back negative about 10 days post-FMT and then another PCR- about 30 days post-FMT. I can safely say the c-diff is at a undetectable level.

I'm going through PI-IBS, which hopefully will start resolving on its own cause its getting kinda annoying.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:58 pm

For many, a FMT is not a miracle cure. Give it some time.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:15 am

Hi Richlin
Sorry you are still having issues.Like Bobbie said , FMT is not a miracle cure for most people , it can leave you with IBS , no fun dealing with that ,but at least it's not so debilitating as active-CDiff.Mucus and softer stools are common with IBS.Congratulation for negative tests.IBS it going to get better with time so have patience.Amitriptyline is the antidepressant of choice for IBS sufferers because of the constipating effects of it and also has a good sedative effect and helps with sleep issues.Take care and have a speedy recovery!

Return to “FMT Discussion”