FMT Capsule G3 using OpenBiome vs colonoscopy route

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
foots
Regular Contributor

FMT Capsule G3 using OpenBiome vs colonoscopy route

Postby foots » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Has anyone tried the capsule route? I am thinking to do that if I have a relapse, but then I read that it is 70% effective & if you fail it, you must then do 60 more pills over 2 days, then it's 94%. My stomach hurts just thinking about it. Apparently, in the study, the 1 person who still failed it was cured by a traditional FMT.

Thoughts? Experiences? It seems way easier, but somehow I think I'd be in the 30% failure group...hah.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT Capsule G3 using OpenBiome vs colonoscopy route

Postby NanciT » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:12 am

Hi Foots,

My doctor mentioned this to me if I had CDIFF return, she was going to look into it but thankfully all has been well! There was an article posted today in Media, this company was mentioned.
NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:53 am

Personally, I don't think I would do it, but I had two failed NG transfers, so I guess I would not be a good candidate. I also got SIBO and I think part of it was that I had the FMT put into the duodenum. I have read since that the small intestine really should not have the same kind of bacteria as the colon, so I would opt for a colonoscopy or enema transfer. But, there are others who had this done and got better. I would discuss all your options well with your doctor and ask about side effects for each.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:17 am

FDA concerns are that the pills are made with multi doner material and they would like them to be studied as a drug and undergo stringent testing and quality control.
Remember HIV and BSE being passed on by pooled blood products?
Personaly I think a colonoscopy fmt, put into the part of the body that it calls home, from a known single donor seems a lot safer.

Return to “FMT Discussion”