Raw garlic after FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
richlin
Regular Contributor

Raw garlic after FMT

Postby richlin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:36 am

Anyone ever try a raw garlic cleanse after and FMT. Will this kill the good bacteria and trigger c diff overgrowth?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Raw garlic after FMT

Postby georgina » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:14 pm

I don't know if garlic cleanse is a good thing to consider after FMT as it is a natural antibiotic and in large ammounts can kill the starter culture that was put in the gut trough FMT and of course is a FODMAP and it can trigger a IBS flare.

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:57 am

Doesn't it only target the bad gut bugs though?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:47 am

No. There are no miracle cures.

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:06 pm

In case anyone is wondering.

Garlic does effect the growth of beneficial bacteria as well as pathogenic ones. It's a strong antibiotic so be careful about using it.

I have ubiome results of post FMT and post 7 day garlic cleanse. I will post results on how it has effected the diversity of my biome.

http://bioimmersion.com/blog/garlics-ef ... robiotics/

http://www.pigeonbooks.com/index.php?r=14&c=73&l=en

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:05 pm

Following up on this thread.

Turns out the raw garlic was a very bad idea. My diversity dropped a huge Here are the stats.

Shannon Diversity
C-diff positive - 67 percentile
Post-Flagyl - 85 percentile
Post-FMT - 69 percentile
Post-Raw Garlic - 51 percentile

What is super confusing to me is why my diversity grew the most after Flagyl... I wonder if it's due to the way it was processed. I've noticed on top of the GI issues my sleep is horrible (still waking up 4-5x a night) and also my seasonal allergies are probably 3x worse than they used to be before any ABX. I wonder if the diversity increase with FMT is actually permanent or tends to fluctuate based on the host.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:49 pm

Dear Richlin , me and Bobbie said that garlic cleanse is not to be taken after FMT , it can kill some f the bacteria from your starter culture.Why do you ask for advices if you do not want to listen to what we tell you?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:16 am

Also, if you've ever been around someone who has eaten raw garlic ... suffice to say, you wouldn't want to be.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:00 am

Hi Georgina,

I appreciate the concern. I wasn't asking for advice in my original comment. I was just asking if anyone has done it - since no one has and it was all based on speculation (ex: I think it might not help so don't do it). I decide to move forward with it. It seems like everyone intuition was correct! I could've not posted the results but thought I'd share - I'm hoping it might help others. I hope you or anyone else don't take offense to this comment.

I'd also like to add that for some reason uBiome isn't showing me the bacterial functional metabolism data. Sometimes based on the extraction method (wiping the Qtip from the toliet paper) isn't done correctly and can mess with the data. For instance, if I didn't have much stool on my toilet paper and tried to wipe it, it won't pick up all the species of bacteria in my stool for analysis.

For instance, if you look at this guy blogging about his uBiome results: https://freetheanimal.com/2015/11/ubiom ... ction.html

He went from 80th percentile in one sample to 12th percentile in another. These were 10 days apart! So the results are something to consider but I'd take it with a grain of salt.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:33 pm

If you sent 10 samples from the same BM you would get 10 different results.
Ubiome and others that do this testing are charging you for information thats close to useless and pointless.
For c.diff did they just put clostridia by any chance?
Theres also probably 200 or so bacteria that cant be identified.
Possibly the DNA of the dead bacteria killed by the flagyl was concentrated in your sample.

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Yeah for some reason they don't show Clostridium Difficile. When I had active C-diff it just showed C-diff at 1.3% of the total population.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Did they actualy name c.diff or just say clostridia.
Even if they named it the 1.3% would be totally irrelevant to a medical professional.
All these tests and research is doing you no good.
Do enough tests and you will interperate them as needing correcting because its in your make up to be a worrier about perfection.
You have harmed yourself and need to realise this is not normal.

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:46 pm

uBiome lists only Clostridium. It doesn't go into the species. For Clostridium on my first sample it was 1.3% which was when I was c-diff+ by GDH and Toxin.

All these samples and test were done AFTER the fact. I'm NOT using these test as diagnosis.

The only mistake I made was trusting my brother when I was suffering very badly from IBS that caused all these issues. You have to understand the first FMT that got me c-diff in the first place was because my brother who was the donor would NOT get tested and told me all his bowel movements were alright. Unfortunately, I was so desperate looking for a donor (was looking for nearly a year), that I went ahead and trusted my BLOOD relative for his word even though he was absolutely dismissive. This is the most harm I did to myself by getting c-diff from a FMT trying to cure my IBS that I got from ABX. I take full responsibility for this.

Now all the other treatments I had later any other LOGICAL person would've pursued. When I was c-diff+ I took Flagyl for 7 days and then had a colonoscopy FMT by Openbiome as a follow-up.

Let me make this clear. MY UBIOME TESTS ARE FOR OBSERVATIONS ON DIET AND MY TREATMENTS AND ARE NOT BEING USED FOR DIAGNOSIS. Therefore, Roy please stop trying to diagnose and psychoanalyze me yourself as you are not a medical professional.

Thank you.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:02 pm

Your correct.
It should be a professional who is left to psychoanalyze you.
You will not be able to post again for 48 hours so as to give the mods a break from your nonsensical posts.
Your getting close to a permanant ban.

Return to “FMT Discussion”