Sleep and mood issues post-FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
richlin
Regular Contributor

Sleep and mood issues post-FMT

Postby richlin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:45 am

Have any of you had sleep issues post-FMT?

My current symptoms: Wake up 4x a night, sometimes in cold sweat. Also I have this general full body achiness/weakness that is relived by a bowel movement. Also any mood issues like depression and lack of joy in doing any activity.

The symptoms seems to be getting worse for every FMT that I've done. The first FMT lead to these symptoms and over time have gotten worse. Depression was at its worse when I used my brother as the unhealthy donor, the following FMT's helped reduce the mood symptoms. But now the waking up multiple times a night seems to be increasing...

Otherwise my "GI" issues have normalized. 1 bowel movement a day, close to bristol type 4 although on the softer side (still stays whole when I flush and doesn't just break apart).

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Sleep and mood issues post-FMT

Postby georgina » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Sleep issues are not unusual post or during Cdiff , most of us are using antianxiety or antidepressants meds to help us with sleep issues.You should discuss that with your doctor , maybe he can prescribe a sleep aid for you.

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:49 pm

Perhaps you are suffering from stress/depression after everything you have been through? When I was going through cdiff, I had severe postpartum depression and anxiety. I did not sleep well at all. I then got on medication for my depression and anxiety and that helped. Maybe discuss with your doctor and see if they can screen you for depression/anxiety?

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:03 am

@Code3rn

Thanks for the analysis. I really don't think it's from depression psychologically (per se). Actually what I've noticed is that when I have a high fiber diet the depression/anxiety is worse, because it makes me extremely gassy. Somehow the gas make my whole body ache with shaking anxiety.

The other major symptom that is really odd is the waking up multiple times a night...

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:37 am

I have SIBO and IBS thanks to the dysbiosis that the c diff and mostly the vanco treatment caused. Those two conditions both produce their own set of toxins which, according to the doctor's research, cause fibromyalgia in more than half of patients and can also affect serotonin levels, which I believe in turn, can affect mood and sleep. My serotonin level a month ago was down to 17 and I was having difficulty sleeping too. You might want to talk to your doctor about these possibilities.

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:40 pm

Take some time to read this guy's hypothesis. I absolutely agree with him on this issue. http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=75458

My anxiety after my brother's FMT (He is an anxious/depressed individual) skyrocketed. It is specifically aggravated when I eat high fiber foods that make me gassy. I've been testing this for the past week and a half. If I go on a non-fiber and protein diet, I pretty much have no anxiety. Also the anxiety lessened dramatically when I used my housemates stool (he's more calm.

Note: I've always been a super confident and fearless person (this led me to be quite a trouble maker in the previous years). However, after the implant I've been more timid and fearful. Even my ubiome results agree. Out of the 10 serotonin producing bacteria I only have 1 that could be tracked in the results after using my brothers donation.

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:05 am

Just following up on this thread. I was on Amitriptyline for a month which helped with my sleep issues. Rather then waking up 4-5x a night I was maybe waking up once a night.

I stopped the Amitriptyline recently as suffice to say the results are not good. I still have the waking up 4-5x a night. However, the good news is my GI symptoms (loose stool and gurgling stomach) is a lot less. It's probably healing now.

The sleep issues are still concerning and I still can't pinpoint the reason (maybe Flagyl side effects, C-diff recovery, IBS, or from FMT) Anyone have sleep issues after C-diff? Did it happen after treatment (ABX or FMT) or was it during C-diff? I noticed when I had c-diff I only woke up once a night and sleep pretty well. However, after treatment Flagyl and FMT that's when it got really bad (even while on Flagyl I was sleeping better) so not sure if it's FMT.

Return to “FMT Discussion”