Vanco vs Metro Pre-treatment FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
richlin
Regular Contributor

Vanco vs Metro Pre-treatment FMT

Postby richlin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has encountered a metro pre-treatment to lower the c-diff burden prior to FMT. I know from all the literature that vanco or dificd is the pre-treatment to FMT because it has a lower MIH and is more effective c-diff killer than Metro.

I have active email threads with Dr. Louie, Stollman, Brandt who have agreed Vanco is better pre-treatment.

roy
Administrator

Re: Vanco vs Metro Pre-treatment FMT

Postby roy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:08 pm

Richlin your thinking way way ahead in what treatment you should have for c.diff!
C.diff is a naturaly occouring soil born bug that can be a normal gut resident.
Its only a disease if it overgrows and causes profuse watery D.
You have said that your only going 2x a day.
In my non medical oppinion throwing more treatment at this is going to cause more potential harm than good
From my 9 years experiance here posters that insist on treating asymptomatic c.diff can end up with a full blown infection.
I would slow down and see if my own immune system does what its is designed to do and return you to good health.
If you bombard Drs with emails requesting treatment someone will say yes and accept your $$.

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:26 pm

My current symptoms 4x a day. I could go more if I didn't hold it in. Pain and body aches upon defection. Loose/smelly/yellow/mucus stools.

I'm being very cautious on using the Vanco as I don't want any more antibiotics in my system. Just wanted to see if anyone here has used metro prior to FMT and if it was probably less effective than using Vanco pre-treatment.

I just had a PCR test done today and awaiting results.

Another thing that is odd is that I feel worse than I did before the Flagyl and FMT treatment...

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:17 pm

Calm down!
Your symptoms are VERY mild.
Even if the test is positive your a very long way from considering an FMT.
Get a real Drs advice and stop using Dr Google!
Vanco and dificid cause a lot less harm to the normal gut flora than flagyl.
I dont think any poster has used flagyl as a pretreatment to FMT

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:11 am

Roy thanks for the concern... I'm totally calm.

Just asking questions and doing research. I appreciate you answering my questions!

Just an FYI my PCR came back negative. I'm guessing it's just PI-IBS I'm dealing with at the moment.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:14 am

Actually, I know of someone who was allergic to vanco and she used Flagyl as a pre-treatment the first time. Later on, she treated her IBS with FMT (before the FDA said you couldn't do that anymore) and she pre-treated with Xifaxan. If you are having IBS symptoms, Xifaxan is usually used to treat that. However, I found that the more antibiotics I was given, the worse I felt and the worse the IBS was after I stopped the antibiotic, in my case vanco. I also think that my c diff would have gone away on its own, as it did the year before, had I not taken the vanco. I will never know for sure, but I think I would have been better off. So, do be careful with over-treating.

There is a blood test for IBS now, called IBSchek. It is not available everywhere, but you could check if it is available near you. SIBO is also a possibility as many of us get that after GI issues. There is a breath test for that. Before you decide to get more FMTs done, maybe check to see if you have either SIBO or IBS. FMT won't help SIBO, but it has been used for IBS.

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi Beth,

Thanks for sharing. Did the FMT resolve her IBS symptoms?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:46 pm

Happy to hear your PCR was negative! Many including myself are dealing with PostIBS. This can continue for awhile and if you had IBS to start with the medications taken to get rid of CDIFF start so many symptoms again.
Many will also get IBS Post FMT, you will find that through the threads.
It takes time to recover from CDIFF, give yourself some time, watch your diet, add foods slowly and hopefully you will feel better soon!
NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:38 am

My friend was not cured of the IBS completely, but it got a lot better after the FMTs. She did enemas. I have to say that my symptoms, whether they were from the c diff or IBS also improved after enemas. After the colonoscopy FMT, I did not feel that great. I assume the prep was to blame for that. The enemas are gentler and I felt that I was more in control. I also did more than one. I think that is what helped me the most.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:15 am

Happy to hear that PCR was negative.FMT can be used for IBS as well but doesn't always solve it (it has about 70% cure rate) and needs more then one infusion.There is a doctor in Argentina at Newberry Clinic , his name is Silvio Najt that does FMt for IBS , he often posts on the facebook FMT&Bacteriotherapy Discussion page.

richlin
Regular Contributor

Postby richlin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:40 am

Spoke to soon. The GDH and toxin are negative.

I never had a PCR since the algorithm doesn't require it if the GDH and toxin are negative. The PCR wouldn't be clinically relevant and could lead to over treatment and harm.

http://education.questdiagnostics.com/c ... 1401295516

Return to “FMT Discussion”