Three weeks out from FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
stuyGuy
New User

Three weeks out from FMT

Postby stuyGuy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:28 pm

Three weeks ago from today I had my FMT. A week after the FMT I tested negative for c diff, which has been truly amazing. Friends and a few co-workers that I told about it are pretty interested in it, if perhaps also a little grossed out.

Since the FMT I've been dealing with IBS, however. I can tell it's not c diff because a) I had the negative test and b) having a bowel movement is not as frequent and lacks the immediate urgency and c) the gut pain is not the same or not even there. Despite the disclaimers, it sure can seem to mimic the symptoms of c. diff, as others have posted on this forum in the past.

So far I've learned the hard way that acidic and fried foods are not yet acceptable for me to eat. Adding fiber earlier in the day has helped as well, since it sort of fills up your system and slows it down. I read in some literature that "adverse life events" in the two months prior to gastrointestinal illness give you about 2x the risk of having post-infectious IBS. I moved to New York City and changed jobs about two months before I got c. diff, and that stress has no doubt been a huge multiplying factor for c diff and now PI-IBS.

My symptoms do slowly seem to be getting better over time, though the curve appears to be linear with not much slope rather than exponentially like I was hoping. I'm going back to see my GI in a week and hoping that she may be able to give me some other medications like hyoscyamine and/or amitriptyline and to help with the IBS symptoms.

Anyway, I'm not really posting for advice. I know I poured over these forums before my FMT and tried to read a lot into other's experiences. I was sure it wasn't going to work and I'd be screwed. It worked for me and it can work for you!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Three weeks out from FMT

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:41 pm

Thanks so much for posting your experience. It sounds like you are doing much better and finally cured of the beast! My GI had recommended a natural remedy for IBS called IBGard. I haven't had another bout thank goodness, so I never got to try it. I'm just mentioning it as it may be something to ask your GI about for PI-IBS.

I wish you continued improvement!
Lisa

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Three weeks out from FMT

Postby NanciT » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:58 pm

Great to hear the FMT went well, the Post IBS I am sure you know is common. I have been on the Hycosamine on and off, using very little but it has been a help. I wanted to mention the amitriptyline can be helpful but also can cause constipation.
Give yourself some time, add new foods slowly and see what you tolerate well. I add things and wait a few days to see how it goes.
Happy you are on your way!
NanciT

Return to “FMT Discussion”