Had FMT yesterday

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
achan
New User

Had FMT yesterday

Postby achan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:28 pm

So I had my FMT yesterday at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona. They had somebody cancel so they got to move me up. I wouldn't have gotten in until November otherwise. I really lucked out. I'm so excited to start the healing process. For the most part, I think it went really well, but only time will tell.

The prep for was pretty awful. They had me do half in the evening and half in the morning. The moviprep they had me use tasted terrible and they specifically said not to flavor it at all. It was tough, but all I could think about was how excited I was to finally be getting the FMT. I was still going when I got to the Mayo Clinic Hospital and took the Imodium. I literally took the Imodium after leaving the bathroom.

They took me back and prepped me to go in for the procedure. The FMT coordinator came in and went over the procedure with me again and a little of what to expect afterwards. Apparently, they got a really good, big sample from the donor. She seemed pretty excited about it. More bacteria for me, I guess. She did say that because the sample was so big, they decided to take a little more than usual and that I might experience more discomfort afterward because of it. Or as she put it, what goes in must go out.

They took me back, performed the FMT, and I woke up in recovery. I had crazy bad gas pains and lost a little of the sample trying to pass some gas to relieve the pain, but it was a tiny amount. I went home and didn't go again until this morning around 8 or 9 am. It was a small amount again and formed.

Overall, I've been feeling pretty good so far. I've been more energized today, more positive and less anxious. When I had active c diff, I would have a racing heart when I would go to sleep which would sometimes trigger a panic attack and that disappeared. After dinner tonight, I had a massive amount of D though. I think that it was either the Moviprep still making it's way out now that the Imodium has worn off (since I was still going from the evening dose of prep before I started the morning dose and I was still going in the morning when I got in), or I ate something my body didn't like. Yesterday, I was so excited and felt so good I know that I ate some risky foods. I stayed within the parameters they gave me at Mayo (low residue the first day and then I could add anything I wanted back in slowly), but I probably went overboard. I'll definitely be taking it slower from now on. Because of the lingering effects of the Imodium though, I feel like I'll never really know what caused that. I highly doubt it's c diff back. It seems rather early for it to be making a comeback, only three days after stopping Vanco and one day after getting treated by FMT. Also, it wasn't at all like the D I had with active c diff. Has anyone else had that happen after FMT? It would be nice to know I'm not alone.

Also, if anyone is considering doing an FMT at Mayo in Phoenix, Arizona, they were very sure to tell me that they no longer allow patients to use donors of their choice. They only allow you to use donors from their standard donor list that they have already screened and continue to screen three to four times a year. It sounded like they made this change for two reasons. One, the testing was expensive and a lot of people's insurance didn't cover it, and two, it sounded like they were having problems with a lot of people's donors failing the testing. I don't know if that has been posted anywhere else on the site, but this is their new policy. So if anyone is adamant about using their own donor, they might want to look at going somewhere else. I don't know if this is the case for all branches of the Mayo Clinic, but it is for the one in Phoenix.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Had FMT yesterday

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:54 am

It sounds like you are on your way to recovery from this terrible illness. I am so happy for you. I didn't have an FMT, but it sounds like yours went really well. It's probably a good idea to ease back into a normal diet. Your body has been through so much and needs time to heal. I wish you continued improvement, and so glad you got in sooner for your FMT. Keep us posted.

Lisa

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:39 am

I have had more than one FMT. They put in liquefied stool, so what goes in, has to come out. It didn't go in solid, so it won't come out solid. I did get food intolerances after, more from all the vanco I was on I think than the FMT, but I got them nonetheless, so add foods back carefully and don't overdo.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:11 am

Some c did experts stress adding high fiber foods after the FMT - whole grains, fresh veggies and fruits, beans. Add gradually. They are supposed to feed the new good bacteria.

achan
New User

Postby achan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:03 pm

Bobbie,

I'm going to call Mayo tomorrow to ask if it's ok that I do that. They did write on one of their information sheets that they normally advise adding fiber to the diet if someone has called in after the procedure with IBS issues, so I have a feeling they'll let me do that. Lord knows, I have plenty of fresh fruit in the house to get rid of. My husband and I went orchard picking for my birthday last weekend so we've got enough apples, pears, and peaches to feed an army. Though, I have to admit that the FMT was probably the best birthday gift I got this year.

Thanks for the advice!
Amanda

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Gold you are doing well, Amanda.

Return to “FMT Discussion”