Back from FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
sevla
Regular Contributor

Back from FMT

Postby sevla » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi everyone,
Since so many of you have been so amazingly supportive and have pulled me off the ceiling multiple times now, I wanted to touch base soon after FMT to thank everyone for the best wishes and prayers.
I am back home, had a bland lunch and am trying to relax.

The prep was awful, I didn't sleep much and was still going to the bathroom at 4am (procedure was scheduled for 9am). I woke up and didn't have much liquid left but still went. At 7am I did take imodium as I wanted to keep as much of the sample for as long as possible. I also took an imodium after waking up from procedure as I was feeling ghe urge to go. So far I have been able to hold it in for 4h! However I don't know for how much longer I can do it. I saw some weird thing on the cover thar was below me when I woke up from the anastesia but the nurse said it was from the procedure itself (meaning that I did not loose stuff - hope she is right!).

My friend who was the donor slept at our house so that she could poop in the morning (I know, TMI). It must be hard to go under pressure! She went and we put the stuff in a little cooler. I was afraid it was not enough! It looked like so little amount (less stress with stool banks)! When I asked the doctor if it was enough he said it was boarder line enough - so I really hope that even if not much, that it is still powerful poop and that I am able to start my recovery. That is why I am trying to old it in for as long as possible because it was not much.

I am sure that when I go to the bathroom it will be liquid (maybe even the rests of the prep), but I will try not to freak out if it is watery or looser for the first few days. Trying to stay optimistic for now. Hopefully for once I will be part of those 90% of people that get cured with an FMT! (Tired to be part of the minority that relapses, as I am sure many of you are/were).

Thanks so much again for all the positive thoughts and prayers! You are all amazing.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Back from FMT

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Sevla - I am very hopeful that this will be the end of c-diff for you. It sounds like the procedure went very well. As you said, don't get freaked out by what the next couple of days may bring. I'm sure BMs will still be off. As many on this board have said, it can take some time to see improvement after the FMT. You have been so strong through all of your ordeal and deserve peace and health once and for all.

Prayers and hugs to you,
Lisa

tonia
Regular Contributor

Postby tonia » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:32 pm

I hope this works for you!! It is great that you have been able to hold it for so long! I wish you luck :)

JeannieR
Regular Contributor

Postby JeannieR » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:07 pm

So glad everything seems to be going well so far! I'm praying for you girl!
Keep us updated. You got this girl! You will be healed!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:38 am

Remember "quality, not quantity". I'm glad things went well. 4 hours is very good. Even that should be enough. Let us know how you do in the next few days. My bms were all over the place after FMT. Don't freak out if you get D. That prep can keep working for a couple of days too.

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:34 am

Thank you all!
I was finally able to hold it for almost 8h, but then I had to ket it go as the gas trapped inside was making me have cramps.
Today, for the first time in 4 months, I did not have to go poop as soon as I woke up. It is 10:30 and I have not gone yet.. I do not know what tomorrow will bring, but am enjoying this little poop break!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:10 pm

Congrats on the poop break! Oh what a feeling!!!! You are doing great, Sevla. And, 8 hours is awesome!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:43 am

Sounds like a winner. So happy for you. Let us know how you do.
CAROL

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks, Lisa and Carol!
You know what's funny? I have not gone to bathroom the whole day yesterday (just went once and it was basically nothing, so it almost does not count) and have not gone yet today! This feels so weird as in the past 4 months I have been going so much..This constipation feeling is new! I took imodium before and after the procedure, so that might be influencing it as well.

For those who have done FMT, did you continue taking Florastor or any other probiotic afterwards? I know that some were told by their doctors to wait a month before starting commercial probiotics again. However, this is another thing that feels weird - not taking any probiotics multiple times a day.

So many new feelings. However, I must say I feel good so far. The amazing thing is the little cuts that I had in my hands closed after FMT.. Part of it might be because I am washing my hands a few less times (as I have not had mutiple BM a day), but it might be a reflection that gut got a nice injection of good bacteria. This is just me trying to analyze all the little things after the FMT (as the skin is a reflection of the gut flora, so I am analyzing it a lot!).

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:38 pm

I did not go for 4 days after my first colonoscopy FMT (although I lost a very small amount the day of the procedure). After that bowel clean out, there is probably not much left in there. Enjoy the break. I don't think I took probiotics after my first one, but I did with the others.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:27 am

I was told not to take probiotics for the first month, but since I had to take Macrobid for a UTI at eleven days out, I started the probiotics back then and have continued them ever since. I am, however, cutting back some on the amount of probiotics and trying to eat more fermented foods instead. The power of poop website has a lot of information on what to expect after FMT. Glad you seem to be doing well so far.
Bea

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks a lot, Beth and Bea.
Well, had my first BM yesterday evening and it was formed. Had two more this morning - one formed and the second one a pile of mush.. I am trying not to worry.. So hard not to do so, though. I had this cdiff smell for a week prior to procedure and had the D the day before the prep.. So I was wondering if I was having a very active infection before the FMT which will make it ineffective..

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:34 pm

I don't think the procedure would be ineffective from that. Expect all kinds of bms after the FMT. Mine varied from formed to not formed, even D at times. I developed a lot of food intolerances. Those may be to blame for you rather than c diff. See if there are any foods that give you problems. Mine were dairy, fruit and vegetables for the most part.

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:09 pm

Thank you for the reassuring words, Beth. This is both a mental and physical game. Not knowing what is normal and not drives one crazy. Moreover, what is normal for one, it is not for others. However, I will take one day at a time and not stress out too much about it as it is not good for the gut healing.

I already went 4 times today (2 formed and two looser/softer). I will just take a deep breath and not worry.

Thanks again!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:09 pm

I agree with Beth. I don't think that would make the FMT ineffective. FMTs are used as a last resort at times for people who are extremely ill and they work. I think you are probably fine and the new bacteria is just going to take some time to get settled. The doctor at Emory who did my FMT sent me home with an information sheet that said many people have a bout of diarrhea shortly after FMT and it usually resolves on its own within a few days. That is exactly what happened to me and I was certain it hadn't worked, but it did!
Bea

Return to “FMT Discussion”