Preparing for my FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Preparing for my FMT

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:20 pm

UGH - I'm so sorry that you aren't feeling well again. Are you sure it failed, Hiker? So many on here say that it takes time for things to get back to normal after an FMT. Did stool tests confirm it?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Get tested. I thought for sure mine had failed, but it didn't. I got really bad SIBO after c diff and after the transfer. It gave a lot of symptoms too.

hiker1
New User

Postby hiker1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:05 am

Turns out you all are right. It's so great hearing from people who have been through this, thanks!

I literally feel EXACTLY the same as I did when I had C.Diff, but my test did indeed come back negative.

The doc is running some additional tests checking things such as liver and kidney function, nutrient/vitamin absorption and anemia, probably 20 other things.

Doc also recommended I start the fodmap diet and take dicyclomine. I'm also taking an iron supplement because I've found it helps my lightheadedness/dizzyness.

So hopefully this too shall pass.

Thanks for the info all that responded, it helps to know that others have had similar issues after a successful FMT.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:06 am

I was indeed low on some vitamins. Vitamin D was very low and my stools got better when I brought it up into the normal range. Vitamin A and beta carotene was low too. B12 was on the low normal side. That can cause lightheadedness and dizziness too if you are low. My pancreatic enzymes are elevated from time to time and that can also cause GI issues. Malabsorption is another possibility and both IBS and SIBO can cause it. Good thing you did not start taking meds for c diff until you got your results.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:18 am

I was miserable for months after my FMT - it was IBS.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:50 am

I'm in the same boat as you right now, Hiker. I had FMT on June 5th. I had diarrhea for awhile immediately following the FMT and then things got better. Since then, it's been up and down, good some days, bad others. The last couple of days things have been bad and today I've been to the bathroom at least six times, all loose, some watery. It is so difficult to tell the difference between c-diff and IBS. I've been stressed the last few days and I think that contributes to the GI upset for me. Glad to hear you tested negative and I hope things start to improve.
Bea

skizamii
Contributor

Postby skizamii » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:34 pm

I had my 3rd FMT at Mayo today. They didn't recommend I take immodium like I did for my first 2. Right now I have some pretty intense abdominal cramps and pain, it started about 4 hrs after the proceedure. Hoping it isn't a problem...anyone else have pain afterwards?

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:18 am

When I woke up I had cramping pain and lost a good portion of the transplant. I think the prep was still working. The nurse agreed that I could take a Lomotil that I had brought with me, and that eased the cramping off and I felt good the rest of the day with no BMs. Do you normally take anything like Levsin or Bentyl for IBS? If so, maybe one of those would ease things off a bit. Also, lie on your left side in the fetal position with a heating pad (turned on low) on your abdomen. That helps me a lot with cramping. Hope things ease off soon and you can get a good night's sleep.
Bea

skizamii
Contributor

Postby skizamii » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks, it's SOO good to know we aren't alone!! Cramps/pain still there but Mayo said they should subside in a couple of days. I had the same thing...I think the prep was still working during/after the proceedure. Then I went from 100 mph to 0 instantly :-)

hiker1
New User

Postby hiker1 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:31 pm

One of the reasons I was afraid my FMT had failed was that right after the procedure, I had tremendous pain and cramping, making it horrible to keep the transplant. I had pure water D after that. I believe that the doc had me drink WAY too much of the Gavilyte prep. My digestive transit was around 38 hours during the time of the prep, and there was no way I could drink enough water to stay hydrated, it just didn't move through me fast enough. So, I went into the procedure extremely dehydrated and with a lot of prep solution still in there, as there wasn't enough water to flush it out. The nurse could tell how dehydrated I was when she first saw me, and immediately started me on IV fluids.

So I wake up from the procedure rehydrated and still full of Gavilyte. Guess how that evening went. So something similar may have happened to you.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:40 am

My prep kept on working too. Only after I took Imodium did it slow down. How are you feeling now, Hiker?

skizamii
Contributor

Postby skizamii » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:08 pm

How long did your D last? I am 3 days out of my FMT and having more watery D every day along with nausea, body aches, fatigue, racing heartbeat, and no appetite. Mayo said it could take up to a week to work, but....?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:40 pm

I was told it could take weeks to months for the new bacteria to "seed". I guess everyone is different. Make sure you aren't eating anything that is giving you the D. I got lots of food intolerances when I stopped vanco and after my FMT. Dairy was even before, but fruit and vegetables also gave me problems.

skizamii
Contributor

Postby skizamii » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:46 am

I'm sticking close to the low FODMAP diet...definately have developed some food intolerances.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:11 pm

Give it some time. I felt pretty rough for the first month after FMT and then started to feel better. Still have IBS with loose stools and even diarrhea at times, but no c-diff.
Bea

Return to “FMT Discussion”