How long to recover

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
RickNYC
New User

How long to recover

Postby RickNYC » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi,

I know there's a thread here so that we can lookup past posts and see some FMT success stories.
It's honestly a bit of work... I'd like a simple thread where people who had FMT can just post how long it took for them to be back to normal.
I had my FMT 3 weeks ago, this last week was great until I had D again for the past two days. I think it would be great to have a short answer from people in here, did you have IBS before FMT, what happened post FMT, how long to recover and what helped you to recover (debates with the probiotics for instance) and what kind of specific diet you might have had?

Thanks
-R

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: How long to recover

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:11 pm

I did not have IBS before FMT, or better said, before c diff. I got c diff in 2008 and wound up getting an upper NG transfer because back in those days it was hard to get any doctor to do anything. It did not cure my c diff, so I had a colonoscopy transfer a few months later. Prior to the transfer, I was taking vancomycin 4 x per day 250mg for over a month. I already started to get GI distress from the meds. After the FMT, I got the worst IBS symptoms, was tested for everything under the sun, but the only thing that was highly positive was a breath test for SIBO. Between the c diff and the vanco and the FMT I got an imbalance of bad vs good bacteria (dysbiosis) that was through the roof. It was one of the highest breath tests the doctor had ever seen, and he told me that after upper transfers, this can happen and even lower colonoscopy transfers when the stool is put into the lower part of the small intestine. From the posts I see here, it can happen even if you never had an FMT. I was later told, and apparently now research supports this - that c diff and the toxins damage the nerve endings of the intestines and it takes a long time for them to regenerate. I took Xifaxan in 2009 for the SIBO and was considerably better, although not normal by any means. Then a few months later, I took Cipro for another infection and it all started over again and here I am in 2015, after more FMTs and relapsing c diff and still have food intolerances, gassiness, etc. I just tested positive on the new IBSchek test. For most people, the IBS will subside over time. Some cut out gluten and that helps. I still can't eat dairy products. You will just have to see which foods seem to aggravate things for you.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: How long to recover

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:23 pm

Rick,
Do a search on FMT." It should bring up some of the info you want. The FMT forum was meant to be as simple as possible and contains names of posters who gave permission to contact them re the procedure. I would do that for extensive info.

Sorry, we can't make it simpler than this . You might try one of the other support sites. C diff is so individual I doubt if the info would do you much good personally.

Return to “FMT Discussion”