Discontinue vancomycin prior to FMT?

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
trixie
New User

Discontinue vancomycin prior to FMT?

Postby trixie » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:58 am

I am scheduled for FMT in 4 days. I asked the doctor who is going to perform it if I should stop taking the vancomycin beforehand, and he said I could discontinue it the day before the procedure. But I've read online that it should be discontinued several days in advance. I do not want to do anything to lessen the effectiveness of the FMT, but I also do NOT want to be sick for days either. I just don't know. What have other people experienced?
Also, I am freaking out about having to drink all that prep stuff. I've had a regular colonoscopy before, but the stuff for the FMT is way more. I've got 2 10-oz bottles of Magnesium citrate, plus a HUGE 4 liter bottle of the NuLytely solution, plus laxative pills and anti-nausea pills. I just worry about having to drink the mixture -- a cup every 10 minutes, and rapidly. Arrrrgghhhhh, I know I have no choice, but it's keeping me awake at night thinking about it. Can anyone give me some encouragement?

Thank you.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Discontinue vancomycin prior to FMT?

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:00 pm

Trixie,
Contact some of the people who gave permission to be contacted in this forum.I believe I discontinued the Vanco the day before the prep.

That does sound like a lot for the prep. Check with a pharmacist and double check with your doc.

The best way to drink the prep is to set a timer for 20 minutes, glug the stuff down, and set the timer for another round.

Let us know how you do.

chip
Regular User

Postby chip » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:48 pm

Trixie,

I agree with Bobbie...I would contact pharmacy/doc to verify. I just had FMT on 6/2 and I had the 64 oz. of prep and that was plenty! It did the trick.. As for the vanco I had a consult at Johns Hopkins and UVA. Hopkins said to stop vanco 1 day before and UVA advised to stop 48 hours before the procedure.

Good luck!

trixie
New User

Postby trixie » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:54 pm

Thank you both. I think I'll stop the vanco 48 hrs ahead to be safe.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:59 pm

I just had FMT on Friday and did a Miralax prep. I was instructed to take 4 Dulcolax pills in addition to it, but I did not and I was clean. However, I was having loose stools and diarrhea even prior to starting the prep and I ate very lightly for several days prior and no high residue foods for a week prior. I'm not advising you to leave off part of a standard prep, but what you are describing sounds excessive to me. I would definitely check with a pharmacist about it and discuss it with the doctor. Now, if you are constipated, this might be necessary, but otherwise, I doubt it. Google colonoscopy preps and you will see that 2 bottles of magnesium citrate by itself is often used and 4 liters of Nylytely is also used by itself. But both together and laxative pills to boot? I would definitely question that amount of laxative prep. Where are you having your FMT, if you don't mind my asking? You can PM me if you like.

As far as the Vanco, I was instructed to stop it 48 hours prior to the procedure, which I did. Good luck with whatever prep you and your doctor decide upon and good luck with your procedure. I hope it works for you.
Bea

Return to “FMT Discussion”