WARNING

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Bobbie
Administrator

WARNING

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:14 am

WARNING

We seldom post medical advice since this is a support site and not a medical one but do report incidents related to our posters.

A prominent C. diff. expert advises:

"FMT thru an EDG using a gastroscope to infuse into the top end of the small bowel should NOT be done. Causes 1. rigors and fevers in some, 2. can end up with patient vomiting up the poo and inhaling into lungs causing a severe E coli or Bacteroides pneumonia, and a meta-analysis has shown around 10% lower success for C diff cure than thru the colonoscopy."

Many well-meaning GI's are not well-versed in C. diff. yet. If your doctor wants to the do the above procedure, question him/her on why? You are your own best advocate for your loved ones and yourself and have the right to ask questions and refuse procedures that could be harmful. "Buyer - beware." Patient/advocate - be informed.

skizamii
Contributor

Re: WARNING

Postby skizamii » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:04 pm

Bobbie, can you let us know who the expert is that gave this advice? Thanks...

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi, Bobbie! I'm curious...Did your expert say that warning also applied for the FMT pills? They've shown great results in trials and are now offered at several places in the country (a few people in some FB groups took them and are doing well). I would imagine SIBO would be a risk but it's less invasive than the nasogastric tube.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:05 pm

Did not mention pills - believe he does them "from the bottom end."

acure
New User

Postby acure » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:24 pm

If this is any help........
Someone from the IBS trial going on right now in New York, using FMT pills, did report they take these pills via the oral route. These pills were encapsulated/prepared by OpenBiome.

I believe at the onset they 'may' have been preparing the pills in an anaerobic manner, which would have been a serious mistake. I'm guessing they have corrected that.

Any FMT that is performed using stool that has been homogenized using the blender method, has a much higher chance of not being successful. The blender method incorporates air throughout the sample. Because 90% of these bacteria we are trying to transplant are anaerobic, using a blender would risk killing most of them. It's an outdated practice or protocol. The top doctors/researchers are preparing their samples in an anaerobic manner. If we do home FMTs, we just do the best we can.

Return to “FMT Discussion”