Masks or no masks?

Post any updates here but please note we are not experts, this is for support only
roy
Administrator

Masks or no masks?

Postby roy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:17 am

Study co-author Professor Mario Molina of the University of California-San Diego said:

Our study establishes very clearly that using a face mask is not only useful to prevent infected coughing droplets from reaching uninfected persons, but is also crucial for these uninfected persons to avoid breathing the minute atmospheric particles (aerosols) that infected people emit when talking and that can remain in the atmosphere tens of minutes and can travel tens of feet.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Re: Masks or no masks?

Postby poppy86 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:57 am

I think wearing a mask is important (and also required, in my state). It's a small action everyone can take to try to protect themselves and others. My husband and I both wear cloth masks when in any enclosed public place (not when just taking a walk in our neighborhood), and since he's on immunosuppressant medication, we do anything we can to reduce the risk for him.

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:08 pm

So frustrating to see people not wearing masks in my area (Texas). So crazy it has become political. I wear a mask and people look at me with scorn. What a crazy world. Been wearing masks before COVID when close to my father who had lung transplant 3 years ago. I went to the grocery store yesterday and I would guess that only about 20 percent of people where wearing masks.

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:56 pm

I also mask on the rare occasion I go out. I saw a saying if wear a mask and I was wrong, I wore a mask. If you didnt wear a mask and was wrong, you could kill potentially someone. I am in my thirties and think it is important 100%. On the otherhand my extended family thinks I am crazy. It something so simple we can do to save lives. I just don't get it.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:07 pm

It is obvious that mask can reduce the infection spread rate a lot. I have been wearing it from start, even when CDC was saying not to wear it unless you are sick. Originally because of low inventory of mask CDC suggested not to wear it unless you are sick and now they are walking back from it. So the whole message NOT WEAR IT and now Wear It confused everyone
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:17 pm

MASKS!

No question about it. For your own safety and the safety of others. I believe the CDC came out with No masks at the start due to the low inventory. All of our local and very large medical centers have had a shortage. It has been terrible for staff. and very concerning.

Wear a mask, I don't leave the house without one. Wash your hands and for the full 20 seconds.

Be Safe out there

NanciT

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:25 am

I see wearing a mask as a sign of respect for others. Most masks offer little protection to the wearer; their key purpose is preventing the spread of the virus; wearing one shows you care for the welfare of others. I applaud businesses that require them, and am frustrated with people that say mandatory masks violate their rights. Every one does have the right to do stupid things, but not if it presents harm to others.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:47 pm

It's never made sense to me that masks offer little protection to the wearer. Why wouldn't shielding one's mouth and nose be protective against droplets that are either incoming or outgoing? I suspect that the "little-protection" claim is yet another CDC falsehood, originally advanced to divert attention from the unconscionable shortage of PPE for healthcare workers.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:33 pm

Same in UK Allis!
We were told masks dont help and they must be reserved for healthcare.
Now they cant be honest and admit they do help because it would be political suicide.
I bought ppf3 masks for all the family in early Febuary and look like Darth Vader when I go out!
Also got several years supply of pasta rice and toilet roll and enough 99% isopranapol alcohol to fill several baths.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:34 pm

Most stores don't allow people in to shop without a mask here, but I wear a cloth mask when I am out walking too. I am in my 60s and my husband is in his 70s and I really don't appreciate it when people don't wear one. We have between 1200 and 1900 new cases of COVID every day in the county and people are still dying. A couple we know died of it and their children lost both of their parents within 8 days of each other. I would not want to be responsible for anyone getting sick and I certainly don't want to get sick either. It's really not a hard thing to do and I don't understand why it has become so political, but apparently it has.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:39 pm

Ageee. Masks are a maybe but we need maybes. Worth a shot!!!

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:10 pm

I wear a mask when out in public, and not only for myself, but to protect others. Guess this will be my norm until we get the vaccine.
Teresa_68

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:25 pm

I wear one as my daughters an RN in the covid unit so I’m well aware. A friend got covid and he wore an N95 everywhere due to being overweight with high BP. He was better in 6 days so he was lucky, maybe it was the mask.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:59 pm

If you have covid an N95 mask helps stop the spread by catching your expelled cough fluids, it's not fine enough to filter out the virus when you breath in but it's better than nothing.
N99 "might" be fine enough to stop you breathing in the virus but they are almost impossible to get here now.
Some people are acting like idiots now lockdown is relaxing in UK.
A second wave is inevitable.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:13 pm

People are acting like idiots here too. They've shut down bars again in the county. We had almost 3,000 new cases today in the county alone. It broke the record. I wish it would break the record in the other direction one of these days!

Return to “Covid-19 discussion”