Concerned with relapse

Post any updates here but please note we are not experts, this is for support only
bimelime
New User

Concerned with relapse

Postby bimelime » Sun May 31, 2020 6:26 am

I had cdiff about a year ago. I'm 21/M and I got an ibs-d diagnosis after the fact from my GI he says its very common after cdiff. With covid going around my anxiety is at an all time high and I'm horrified that I'm either catching covid or cdiff is coming back. What are the odds of cdiff coming back for someone like me? Does it make me immunocompromised? I've read the horror stories here about random stuff making it come back like a cold or pepto bismol etc etc. I don't know if I believe it but for now I'm scared. Any reassurance welcome. Thank you all.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Concerned with relapse

Postby AllisS » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:19 am

Since your C. diff infection was a year ago, any future C. diff infection would be a new infection, not the original infection returning. C. diff is in the environment all of the time; however, people usually aren't susceptible to it unless they've been taking an antibiotic, though sometimes it's picked up during hospitalization for something else. With both COVID and C. diff, thorough and frequent (though not obsessive) hand-washing is the most important preventive measure. Your young age should work in your favor against reinfection with C. diff. C. diff doesn't make someone immunocompromised, and colds, Pepto Bismol, etc., wouldn't trigger it.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:42 pm

Bimelime,
Doubt if it is back - or a new infection. Have u been on an antibiotic lately or in a hospital?

See the three-day rule. Best wishes.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:04 am

I'm sorry you're dealing with anxiety. I am too, so I know how preoccupying it can be. I do think that at this point, you are far into your recovery. Try to find ways to calm yourself if possible, I know this is easier said than done. Light exercise, getting outside each day for some fresh air, and watching relaxing movies and tv shows help me. Therapy and medication could also be beneficial. Take it one day at a time and try to take good care of yourself.

Return to “Covid-19 discussion”