Paxlovid diarrhea question/concern

Post any updates here but please note we are not experts, this is for support only
Believe
Regular User

Paxlovid diarrhea question/concern

Postby Believe » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m in the middle of a course of Paxlovid for relatively mild Covid. (Just finished day 3.) I started treatment a few days in to be safe, even though I felt like I was turning a corner. Everything was going great, but I had some nausea and D this morning. I know these are common symptoms. But my anxiety is going crazy.

I’ve got 2 more days, but now … I’m scared to finish it. I don’t know if I should stop?

I realize antivirals do not target bacteria, but my mind just “goes there” with c.diff relapse worry.

In my research, I’m reading that beyond antibiotics, some antivirals and antipsychotic medications are being found to alter gut bacteria. This is seriously scary.

So although diarrhea is a common side effect of Paxlo, my question is—exactly why? Is it because it’s irritating to the gut, which I can accept temporarily, or because it can alter gut microbiota? That would be unacceptable. And I can find nothing online.

I’m trying to determine whether to continue last 2 days. I fear triggering c.diff.

Believe
Regular User

Re: Paxlovid diarrhea question/concern

Postby Believe » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:19 am

Hello, just wanted to post a follow-up.

Paxlovid doesn’t appear to disrupt the microbiome via disturbing bacteria, but they it does appear to interfere with the body’s usual enzyme release for proper digestion.

I’m kind of a research nut and think maybe I hit on something…

Paxlovid is a protease inhibitor, part of a class of medications that prevent viruses from making more copies of themselves.
Protease inhibitors interfere with the action of trypsin and chymostrypsin, enzymes produced by the pancreas to break down ingested proteins. Adverse drug reactions include gastrointestinal problems.

Return to “Covid-19 discussion”