Please pray for my mom! She fell.

If you want to “chat” with your friends on the site, do it here.Talk about the weather, personal problems, or other topics. This forum is lightly moderated, and you may (within reason) post here more often than usual, but Rules of Posting (including no profanity or personal attacks on others) still apply. For lengthy discussions, PM or email.
Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Please pray for my mom! She fell.

Postby Dobies#1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:20 am

My mom fell and fractured the top of her thigh bone this morning. She is scheduled for surgery at 7:30 in the morning. My husband and I were already in TX where my sister lives because we went to a football game last night, and it happened at her house. He had to fly back home to take care of our dog's. I was supposed to go back today with him, but I stayed here. I am thankful we were here though! I do not want to make this about me but I do have the fear of C Diff since I was in the ER room with her, then in a regular room with her the rest of the day. I'm worried about her getting it since they will have to put her on heavy antibiotics. I'm obviously worried about getting it too, even though I'm not on antibiotics. My sister had to take my dad back home which is 100 miles from where she lives so he could get some stuff since they'll be here for awhile. So that's one reason I was with her most of the day. I would've been anyway though! I mean it's my mom for goodness sake! I am so scared for her because of all the possible complications, etc. Plus, they said she is young for this type of fracture. She is 72. I'm trying not to read too much into that but my anxiety has me wondering if she has some sort of underlying condition that's bad. Ugh! My stomach is so tight! It's hard being the caretaker! Anyway, will you please pray for her?? Thanks in advance!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Please pray for my mom! She fell.

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:44 am

I'm so sorry. Your mom might have osteoporosis, but she can deal with that after her surgery and recovery.

My mom had to be in the hospital several times after having had relapsing C difficile. The hospital usually puts patients who take antibiotics on probiotics now, at least the one where she was. They gave Culturelle and that did not agree with her, so I brought in the probiotic that she usually takes and they gave it to her. She has not had any relapses despite being in the ER, hospital, taking antibiotics, etc.

I would ask her doctor to write an order for her to take probiotics. They won't give anything without a doctor's okay. Explain to the doctor about your c diff history and insist that she be given some probiotics. Maybe the hospital where she is already does that anyway, but check.

Good luck with the surgery. I hope and pray that all goes well. Let us know.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:48 am

So sorry about your mom!! Hopefully surgery will go well ( she is still young!) and her recovery will be quick. She did take a fall and anyone can have a fracture when they fall. I know how much anxiety all of this can cause and fear of the hospital.

Just think about how much you know now and when visiting use all precautions. Take the extra steps for yourself and you should be fine.

Remember there are several of us on her who are Heathcare Providers and work in Hospitals everyday.

Sending prayers and my best to your Mom for a full recovery and YOU so the anxiety is relieved a bit

PS My Mom also fell 5 years ago at 76 and fractured her hip. Post surgery she did well and has been fine ever since!!

NanciT

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Prayers for your mom and you, Dobies! She is young and it sounds like she should recover just fine. Hang in there!

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks so much for your kind words and prayers! She did well during surgery, and feels better. The doctor won't come in until tomorrow morning. They said she may not need to take antibiotics when she gets home. They said they hope to have her out of the hospital by Wednesday. We should know more tomorrow. Thanks again! XOXO!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Great news, happy all went well. She will just need plenty of time to rest and recover

Take care of yourself too!!

NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:34 pm

So sorry. Sounds as tho she is doing well.

Wash your hands and u should be ok.

I am 76, broke several bones and am back in Jazzercise.

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:25 am

Happy all went well! Try to get some rest. One day at a time. xo

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:50 am

I, too, wish your mom a rapid recovery. As for the risk of re-contracting C. difficile while visiting in a hospital, it's rather low given that you're not taking an antibiotic yourself. My own advice is to avoid eating anything while on the premises unless you've washed your hands rigorously with soap and water beforehand and do not handle anything other than the food until you're done eating. (Needless to say, don't use your mom's hospital-room bathroom to do this.)
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:04 am

Prayers to your Mom! I'm glad the surgery went well!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:54 am

Dobies,
Glad she is doing well.

I not 76 yet - will be in Dec. Some things are best forgotten!

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:38 am

Thanks again everyone! My mom may get to leave the hospital where she is today and go to a swing bed in the hospital where they live. That's a good thing because the hospital there is right next to their house. Please keep praying because each day is different. She has been on the orthopedic surgery ward so I guess that's better than being on a ward with a bunch of illness around. Thanks again!!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Good news!
Last year my mom fell in my driveway and fractured her hip. She was 88. She had surgery and was hospitalized for almost a week, then in rehab for a few weeks. I was with her daily. I was scared silly that she would get c diff and that I would relapse. I washed my hands every time I touched anything, including every time I touched my mom. You can imagine how many times I washed in 3-4 weeks! My hands were a mess despite lotion but no c diff for anyone.

Mom is fine and living on her own again after staying with me for a couple of months post-op.
Your mom will likely do just as well as will you.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Please pray some more you guys! My mom is back in the hospital. She got really bloated and nauseated Friday. Saturday night the nurse came over and said her abdomen was hard and distended so they took her to the ER and did a CT scan and thought she had a bowel blockage. So they transported her to a bigger hospital and that ER doc here said it was not a blockage but said she had a UTI and was dehydrated. They gave her IV antibiotics and fluids and sent her home late Saturday night. Well Sunday I called her and she could hardly speak because she was so weak. So yesterday my sister drove home and said the nurse was there and said my mom was very lethargic so they made her drink a lot of fluids. She had also had some diarrhea, but they had given her laxatives in the ER because she was backed up some. Anyway she got worse last night and went back to the ER and they did some more X-rays and said she had ilieus. They put her back on IV's and added potassium because she was low on that and sodium. They are still giving her antibiotics for the UTI. Her liver enzymes were also elevated so they did a sonogram a couple of hours ago. They said she was not septic. Also waiting on urine, stool, and blood cultures. I flew in from NC and got to the hospital about an hour ago. My dad and sister went back to my parents house so they can take care of the dogs and shower. My head is spinning! One reason is because her liver enzymes were off six months ago. I'm trying to not let my mind go to the dark places but man it's so hard seeing my mom so lethargic that she doesn't even want to talk. Please keep praying! Thanks in advance!

Return to “Chat Forum”