Sucessful fecal transplant

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Sucessful fecal transplant

Postby Bobbie » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks for keeping in touch, Janet. It has a high "cure" rate. We appreciate you checking in with us - many don't. Glad you are back enjoying life.

Mlbbarry1
Regular Contributor

Postby Mlbbarry1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks Janet, glad to hear it! I hope Mikayla's tummy does recovers as well as yours has. So far it is perfect 5 days out! Hoping the storm isn't coming:)

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Janet, Thanks for keeping us updated!!!!! If I ever need to take antibiotics again I plan on doing the Home Infusion Protocol during medication therapy. Take care and stay in touch!!!!
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Sprinklergal, thank you so much for sharing your good news! Thank God that you are well after 2 years! It gives hope to all who have suffered for years! Wishing you health and no more c.diff -- ever!! If you don't mind me asking...... was it easy for you to find a donor? That seems to be my problem -- finding a healthy, willing donor.

Rick100
New User

Postby Rick100 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Happy to hear that someone had a successfull fecal transplant. Please write in and tell us how you are. This I need to know as it will be my next step. I am new to this board but researching heavily. My Doctors want me to go through the Fecal transplant, as they are doing studies on C diff and fecal transplants here in Boca Raton, Fl.
My doctors keep telling me I am a candidate, my wife is the perfect donor. But, for me not so fast!!

I am convienced I have a solution. Don't laugh yet, I will tell you when. Four months ago I came down with worst case of "D" imaginable, totally dehydrated lieing on the floor, I called 911, and then a trip to the hospital. White count 36,000, a stool diagnosed with C diff and I thought my death was eminant. Started treatment with Flagile which worked for awile then after the completion of the treatment, cdiff reappeared. Another trip to the hospital and infectious desease became involved. Now Vencomycin, treatment, for a month tapered off from every 4 hours, to every 2 hours to once a day then to every other day then every third day. That was sure to work. Well it didn't.

So we had another reoccurrence. This time I took charge: I started researching the Net and read everything I could about Probiotics, and the effacy of probiotics in conjuntion with treatment.
I learned that Vencomycin will kill most probiotics and most were a waste of time. However Saccharomyces Boulardii, S Boulardii, was not a bacteria but a yeast and Vencomycin had no effect. As a matter of fact there are other yeast probiotics that could exist with venco and I could begin building a colony of good stuff while allowing the Venco to do its work. The Probiotic I chose, had 1.32 Bilion CFU's of S boulardi, and a total of 24 Billion CFU's per pill, several other strains also yeast based and could be used in conjuntion with venco. Manufacturer recommened two pill daily, I doubled that dose. My plan was to fight the C diff as hard as it had fought me.

Important the Brand I choose had to be delayed release. An enteric coating on the capusules, assured that the probiotic will not be released into the stomache where the stomache acids would destroy the probiotic, but released in the colon where I wanted the Probiotic to colonize. There are good studies that show S Boulardii when added to the Venco treatment was statistically beneficial in the treatment of C diff. So that was my plan, and that's what I did.
Now, This time I believe I have it made. Not certain but I believe!! Now you can laugh. After three days on that plan, Diarea gone, Stool solid, and looking normal, that is well formed and text book in appearance. I am continuing the final stage of tapering on the Venco, every other day, then every third day, so there is more room in between the Venco to pour probiotics into the colony and continue to build from there. Wish me luck, please wish me luck.
The Vencomycin BTW, is very expensive in Pill form. The use of a compound Pharmacy will save you most of the costs. If you live in an area where Compound Pharmacies are not available, may I recommend Skipps Pharmacy in Boca Raton, Fl. They fill the script pack in ice and ship out the same day. Good People.
Also, www.Benebiotics.com is the Probiotic of my choice. 18 strains, 24 Billion cfu's per cap. Nice People. Again will talk to you. If anyone found any thing better I will listen.

I hope your transplant works for you, and I hope I have helped someone here. Stay tuned. Will be Back

Rick

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:17 pm

Rick, Thank you for posting your story and what seems to be working for you. I hope you have complete success! I have also been mega dosing the Saccro B yeast probiotic. I am on an antibiotic for a kidney infection. I've had c.diff on and off for over 3 years, so I hope the Saccro B (Florastor) keeps the c.diff away. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Scott526
New User

Postby Scott526 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Its great that the fecal transplant worked wonders for you. Im going through my second case of C Diff right now and flagyl has not really helped any of my symptoms. Do you think a fecal transplant sooner then later instead of spending 1000s of dollars on other prescriptions that might not even work? Im guessing my GI doctor that I see on Tuesday will suggest other meds.

Also, does a fecal transplant require anesthesia? I only ask because I hate anesthesia.

Return to “Success Stories”