Meds failed, but nature worked... Success!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
deanne
Brand New Poster

Meds failed, but nature worked... Success!

Postby deanne » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:49 pm

I had C-Diff for 9 months, since May 2011, was finally diagnosed in September, was treated 2 times with Flagyl and 2 times with Vancomycin. I felt well during meds but 6 days after, I relapsed even worse. On the fourth course of Vanco I tried tapering but was skeptical.

I went to a health store to get a strong probiotic. The owner has a integrative med background and she told me: first, let's get rid of the c-diff, and second, we'll repair the colon wall.

She put me on 30 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract and 4 drops of Oil of Oregano mixed in 2 oz of water, 3 x day on an empty stomach, wait 30 minutes. Tastes AWFUL. Did it anyway. She also warned me that C-Diff eats sugar while good bacteria eat fiber, so eat lots of fiber, no sugar and low carbs. Also, a capsule of S. Boulardii and a capsule of 50-billion 10-strain Probiotic 2 x day (if Vanco, 2 hours after Vanco).

After 2 weeks, she added two teaspoons of L-Glutemine -- for colon tissue repair -- to the 2-oz water and extracts, still 3 x day, empty stomach. Also 1000 mg of Vitamin C 2 x day. She said colon tissue won't repair without Vit C.

After 3 weeks the C-Diff was gone!

So I stopped the extracts and took only the L-Glutemine, still in 2 oz water, 3 x day, empty stomach, PLUS both probiotics 2 x day, PLUS Vit C. At that time my Vanco was tapered to 1 every 5 days but I just stopped it. I figured the C-Diff was resistant, the Vanco might do more harm than good, and if I needed to restart treatment, the C-Diff would not be resistant to the extracts.

While I studied C-Diff and a huge puzzle for me was biofilm. C-Diff and all bacteria surround themselves in slime. 3 doctors I couldn't explain to me how the C-Diff would be vulnerable to an antibiotic when it was buried in slime, and I believe that's why the C-Diff recurred after each Flagyl/Vanco. It hid out. As for the extracts, I assume the extracts took care of the biofilm, then the C-Diff.

So now I'm taking L-Glutemine 2xday/probiotics/Vitamin C, but I'm eating most everything without getting D, EXCEPT SALAD. I eat small and keep my diet fiber rich, low sugar, complex carbs, etc. My poor colon will need much time to heal.

BTW some of you must have thought: Who was the person who picked up a grapefruit seed and thought, hmm, I wonder what medicinal qualities this has? I don't know but I'm sure glad they did. Also, make sure the Oregano Oil is medicinal not aromatherapy. And NO yeast. (Yes one doctor actually had me drinking yeast for a month. It's scary out there.)

Ciao!
DeAnne in Lompoc, CA

AThurston
Long Time Contributor

Re: Meds failed, but nature worked... Success!

Postby AThurston » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:32 am

Congrats!!! I found this very interesting.... Hoping you continue the road to recovery. Please do keep us posted on how your doing..
Alletta

JenniferH
Regular Contributor

Postby JenniferH » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:06 pm

I wish I had known about natural medication before I took those damn antibiotics to begin with! It's amazing how nature cures! I have a wonderful neuropath doc now!

Congratulations, and thank you for the post!

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Wow, thank you for sharing your story!! Were you on Vanco the entire time you did the natural treatment? I wonder if the two together knocked the c.diff out? I wonder if it would work with just using the natural products and no vanco. I wish you continued healing and that your gut will be completely healed soon!! Keep us posted on your progress!! Such good news!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Hope you've found what works for you. One word of caution: too much Vit. C. can cause diarrhea.
L-Glutemine should not be taken for extended periods - check this out. Oil of oregano has been "touted" as a cure for years. It is listed under Treatments.

Do hope this works. Often, "natural" is best. Sometimes it is not. We are all different and have to find our own "cures." I hope you've found yours. Let us know how you are doing.

I do believe in some "natural med." - in fact am going to a class on it next week. "Whatever works for you."

Best wishes and thx. for posting.

mary:50
Brand New Poster

Postby mary:50 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 pm

I am so happy to hear your success story. I have c-diff and had it since early January. I've taken flagyl for 10 days and it came back with a vengeance. I then took Vancomycin for 10 days and it came back again. I am back on the Vanco this time for 14 days and my last day is tomorrow.... I know it is not gone. My gastro doctor mentioned that if it comes back I was going to do a 6 week tapering treatment. I am very interested in following your regime exact while doing the tapering. Could you provide the name of the oil of oregano you used--I just don't want to take any chances in getting the wrong thing.

So happy to hear you got rid of this beast! Congratulations!

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:31 am

First let me give you the standard introduction: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST and its subtopics - especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in usuing the site and answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's and Dr. McDonald's articles and someof the topics in CDI, formerly FAQ - especially Hygiene, Nutrition, and Testing.

The majority (almost 80%) recovers with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin, but an unlucky small percentage does not and can suffer for months. Everyone eventually recovers, however, unless other factors are involved such as advanced age or other severe health problems. If antibiotics contributed to your C diff, be careful about taking them again. (See CDI - Antibiotics). Some people can tolerate them withouta problem; some develop C diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article). For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org or peggymemorial on Facebook and the Mayo Clinic web site.

Mary,
I am sorry that you are having trouble getting rid of c-diff. I hope that the Vanco taper works for you. It has a great success rate in curing many on this site.
You might want to PM...send a private message.... to the person who used the oregano. Not everyone checks this site daily.
Good luck in your treatments.
Anne

daviskodar
Brand New Poster

Postby daviskodar » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:31 am

Hey there..!! Nice stuff..!!
Thank you for sharing this with us..!!

mikez5x
Brand New Poster

Postby mikez5x » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:01 pm

This is what I did to get rid of this monster. I used 5 drops of the following three times a day: oregano oil extract, Betaine HCL(tablet 600 mg) and Grape fruit Extract oil.
I used all these along with a chinese herbs (Shen Ling Bai Zhu San (342) 100 capsules) which I got from this website http://www.acuatlanta.net/
I saw a positive result the following day... I realize that Betaine HCl increase the gastic acid which is something that C diff does not tolerate.
The other thing that I was adding is: Ultimate Flora super cricitical 200 billion (which is a probiotic that you can get from whole foods).
I don't work for whole foods and I don't work for acuatlanta.net .I am just sharing my success with everybody who needs getting ride of this terrible disease.

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 pm

Mike, congratulations on your successful treatment. How long did you have to do it? How long were you sick with c.diff? Wishing you continued health and healing!

KateC
Regular Contributor

Postby KateC » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:21 am

Well, I thought I would give this a try- thanks for all the info !
Started the extracts today but oh my Lord!!!!!
I am only taking 4-5 drops of GRapefruit seed extract with 4-5 drops of the OIl of oregano
in about 4 oz of water & it is like drinking gasoline.
And leaves your lips burning like heck-- but I will continue.
No ill effects today except for the horrid taste.

I got hit with the beast again after being negative for a year- in March, & took 10 days of Dificid.
Tested negative at the end of the Dificid and then tested positive on 4/4.
Since symptoms were not bad I decided the wait & see approach.
Waiting on results forrmboth a toxin & pcr test from 4/12.
If it is positive I still don't believe I will go back on any treatment.
My "gut" tells me that it's fighting on it's own right now.
If things get bad, thats a different story.
I am thinking about a FT also...

I have been taking a goof buffered Vit C all along but I increased to 2,000 per day.
Will add l Glutamine for a month also in a week or so.
I took that last year & I do believe it helped me heal.

Kate

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Excess Vit C can cause D. Be careful with it.

avrill.lavigne
Brand New Poster

Postby avrill.lavigne » Fri May 04, 2012 1:59 am

Thanks a lot i was searching for this for very long time, actually i recently join this forum and i hope got lot of such useful information in future.

arjpg
Brand New Poster

Postby arjpg » Tue May 08, 2012 1:36 pm

The Oil of Oregano and Grapefruit seed extract can be dropped into empty gelatin capsules and taken with a glass of water to prevent horrible taste and burning of mouth. These can be purchased at any health food store.

KateC
Regular Contributor

Postby KateC » Wed May 09, 2012 1:09 am

thank you arjpg- I will check on those capsules.
The extracts are vile.... but I would like to continue on them.
Does anyone know if applecider vinegar might help/
I have taken that once or twice per day periodically as it is supposed to help
ward off sinus infections and also help wiht clearing toxins out of joints.
I wondered if I should seriosly get back on that?
Perhaps the acid would help rid the c diff too..
I am certain one of my predisposals to this darned c diff was being on antacids for too long- never again!
KateC

Return to “Success Stories”