C diff and post-partum II

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
amyc
Long Time Contributor

C diff and post-partum II

Postby amyc » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:58 am

Kate, I think you have to treat him, especially since your ID thinks you're getting reinfected by him. So you should both just take the vanco at the same time. If it clears it for both of you, you should be able to move forward with your lives without dealing with this nightmare any more. But if you guys just keep passing it back and forth to each other, it could go on for a long time.

Re: c-diff and post-partum
by kateddc » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:45 pm

Great reading all your posts and thoughts on this awful, awful situation. I tried the Difficid for 10 days (after a 5th relapse) and as of today, 6 days off the meds, my symptoms have returned. My ID doc is starting me on a Vanco taper today with florestor then moving to the VSL as I begin to taper off. To make matters worse, my 4 month old son has also just been diagnosed with the B strain. I've been on flagyl, vanco, etc. since he's been born and asked his docs the entire time if it was safe for him to be exposed to ongoing antibiotics with the breast milk. They assured me he would be fine. However, after 2 months he developed d. and it hasn't eased up. My own doc said he should have not been exposed to the flagyl and that had probably made him vulnerable to this. But other disagree. Either way, ee did two other c-diff tests for him (the EIA test) both came back negative. The ped said he probably had a milk protein allergy so we switched to formula for sensitive bellys. Finally last week, one more test later (PCR), and they say he's positive for the b-strain. He has no other symptoms except mild d 5 - 7 times a day and is growing, gaining weight, and a happy kid. They want to treat him with oral vanco for 14 days and florestor for kids, but I hesitate moving him to antibiotics since he's not showing other signs. Thoughts?

I'm beside myself about this. I've been washing my hands until they're bleed, we've wiped down our whole house, etc. yet he still tested positive for the B toxin. I worry that he's so young to be on these drugs already and that his whole system is out of control. I've asked his ped ID doc to retest him and they said the B toxin from the PCR is very conclusive.

I can't even focus on the fact that I've relapsed for now the 6th time and am at my wits end with this crap - literally!

Return to “Success Stories”