Donors for Fecal Transplant

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
jeannieology
Regular Contributor

Donors for Fecal Transplant

Postby jeannieology » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:03 pm

I'm going to have a fecal transplant. Here's my question: My husband is more than willing to be a donor. He's lived with me for 8 months and hasn't gotten C-Diff which means he has a strong constitution to fight it. He's relatively healthy but takes certain medicines like high blood pressure, diabetic meds and a few others...does that matter or do I have to find a donor who's relatively free of medication?

My adult daughter is also willing but she took an antibiotic a few months back (Clindamyacin) so I'm wondering if that takes her out of the mix.

I'm a little confused about this because I want it to be right.

Anyone have any input on this question?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Donors for Fecal Transplant

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:57 am

A donor should not have taken an antibiotic less than 6 months prior according to the instructions I was given. Clindamycin is probably the top antibiotic to contribute to c diff, so that is not a good one to have taken. Your husband should be fine. I asked about meds and was told that as long as it is not an antibiotic, it was ok. You might want to e-mail Dr. Borody's assistant and ask that question though just to make sure.

Tracy54a
New User

Postby Tracy54a » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:03 pm

Assuming it has been 6 months+ since your daughter used the antibioitics AND she has not been a regular user in years prior. I would use both your daughter and husband as donor. That way you maximise your chance of success. I have a blog which aims to inform people about fecal transplant. There is a section on how to choose a donor under the tab "Is FMT for You?"

http://thepowerofpoo.blogspot.com.au/p/ ... r-you.html

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Tracy,
Thx. for info. Although we don't advocate any particular treatment or med. on this site, we do pass along what worked for others. I've copied your info. in CDI - Infusions/Transplants.

AThurston
Long Time Contributor

Postby AThurston » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:55 pm

Prior to the transfusion I received, per ID the donor could not live w/ me and have not taken AB for 6 mos. My brother was my donor, he also takes hypertensive meds and that was not a problem. He had lab work and his stool was checked twice prior to the transfusion. Good luck, let us know how it works.
Alletta

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Tracy,
Thank you for your post. I went to your blog and read your story. Thank you for sharing. You have been through so much. Thank you for helping others.
Aletta - How are you feeling? Did the stool infusion, with your brother as donor work? I was considering asking my brother, but he takes prilosec every day. Not sure if that's a problem.
Wishing everyone healing!

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:37 pm

Debdee, In my opinion, an individual that takes prilosec is not a candidate for infusions. In early February, a Philadelphia News Station announce that that all proton pump inhibitors (Nexium etc.) will require a specific label to warn that PPI’s can cause C-Diff. Take care!!1
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:48 pm

Thank you, Kathy! I read that too. My brother has never been diagnosed with c.diff, but who knows, he may harbor it....

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

C. diff. expert told me blood relatives are not the best donors - perhaps a shared tendancy to have C. diff.? I'll ask him more when I Email him.

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Thank you, Bobbie. That would be good to know. How are you doing? I've been praying for you. I read that you were able to go to jazzercise, so that is encouraging! Praying you are well soon!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Thx, Debdee. 4 wks. off Vanco. w,w,w - watch, wait, and worry. Was off Vanco. for 6 wks. twice years ago before reoccuring. I am keeping as busy as possible. Saw a neat movie today - The Artist. A strange, but sweet, "feel good" movie. Highly recommend it for depression. Being back in Jazzercise helps me a lot. Am in PT for my wrist. Always something.

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:38 am

Thanks for the movie recommendation. Always nice to watch a good movie. I also like to keep busy. It does help. Praying you are completely better soon! Sixth week will go by soon!!

AThurston
Long Time Contributor

Postby AThurston » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:42 am

Sorry debdee just now seen your question. I do not want to discourage you, all of our bodies and situations are different. I indeed had my brother as a donor, unaware till I seen on the site about family donors. I felt great after my transfusions, I was working out daily, eating pretty much what I wanted for 8 weeks. I am a nurse and went back to work week 9 post transfusions, 10th week reoccurence. I believe their are contibuting factors to this tho, one- I went back to a c diff infected environment where individuals were lax on contact isolation procedures, two- the transfusion was done nasogastric tube so the lower bowel never received the donor stool, three- I question my donor being blood relative. Please do let me know how you are and what your decision is.....
Alletta

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Alletta, thank you for your reply. How are you doing? You have been through so much! Are you still able to work. It makes me sad that hospitals are so infected with the c.diff bacteria. That's where I got the c.diff. I had surgery and they put me next door to a c.diff patient and we had the same nurses. One of the nurses told me, but I didn't understand what she was saying because I had never heard of c.diff and didn't know to be concerned. Now I would have NEVER had the surgery and just lived with my rectocele prolapse. It would be easier than this awful c.diff. It has been two very very difficult years! I just got results of a comprehensive stool test. It shows that I have some c.diff and other bad bacteria, but I also have some good. Very low on lactobacillus and bifidobacterium, so I'm consulting with a doctor on how to raise those two very important bacteria species. I've been eating homemade goat yogurt. I can tolerate that better than cow milk right now. I'm feeling a little better, but still not gaining weight and not feeling like I used to. Maybe that just all takes time. Let me know how you're doing, Alletta. I hope the hospital where you work can do a better job at cleaning or disinfecting so you won't be exposed to more c.diff spores. I'm praying you are getting better!

Return to “Success Stories”