probiotics and cdif

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
dogmom123
Brand New Poster

probiotics and cdif

Postby dogmom123 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi All, developed cdif in Dec, 2010 after a round of penicillin for throat infection. Got over it without medical help. Got it again this year in Dec again, might have been due to stress. Took Flagyl twice a day for ten days. Helped, but not a lot. Doctor prescribed another round of Flagyl for ten days.

I had been taking probiotics all along namely Kal brand Acidophillous with probiotics. Had these already and had been taking them at the start of my symptoms. After seeing the doctor I decided to do more research and learned about Kefir. This is amazing stuff. I got it at Trader Joe's but other natural food stores carry it. It helped because it contains many good probiotics. Then read about Spectra Probiotic which contains Prebiotics also. I got this online. I was also taking Integra Probiotic Pearls, also available on line. Then I learned about Saccharomyces Boulardii by Jarrow Probiotics, available at health food stores. I got mine at Vitamin Warehouse. This is a yeast that can bind to the A Toxin in C Dif if I remember correctly. I think this particular probiotic help me almost immediately.

I started eating applesauce off and on a week ago. I take all of these things daily, alternating probiotics, drinking Kefir everyday. Will probably slow down on S Boulardii to one a day in a few days. But will continue alternating Probiotic Pearls with Spectra Probiotics daily.

As I understand it once you have c dif you have the ability to get it again and again. I could be wrong about this. But will continue with probiotics and Kefir every day.

I do know how life altering this can be, believe me. I am finally totally symptom free at this point and sincerely hope what i have learned can help.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Re: probiotics and cdif

Postby Kathy George » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm glad you are doing so well, and a heartfelt 'Thank You' for your recent post. You’re absolutely right; C-Diff alters your life immensely and can have major consequences. However, most individuals can beat this beast with one or two rounds of Flagyl therapy. However, I question if your original bout of C-Diff was actually completely resolved. Perhaps, it could have remained dormant and the recent stress factor took over. I'm not saying stress causes C-Diff, but it definitely can distrub the intestinal tract immensely. You mentioned that you took Flagyl twice a day; the usual prescribed dosage is 500mg three times a day. You stated that it helped, but not a lot. Could it be possible that the prescribed dosage of Flagyl may have hindered your recovery process??? I’m not a doctor, but something to look into. Probiotics are great for many individuals, but I don’t believe taken alone, could completely cured this beast. Take care and please keep us updated.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

dogmom123
Brand New Poster

Postby dogmom123 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:26 pm

You could be absolutely right that the original case was not completely gone. I agree. The reason I only took two flagle a day was the doc did not feel I had a bad case this time. I did wonder about the dosage myself after reading what others had been prescribed.

My stress was major, death in family. I do think the original infection was hovering around as things just didn't seem right during the past year.Nothing huge, just little things from time to time.

I do know, as stated that S Boulidarii really did seem to make a diference in a hurry. I had read about it in a letter to a patient on Dr. Weil's site.

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate the input.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:09 pm

I can’t imagine how a doctor could determine that a case was not “bad enough” in order to prescribe the Standard treatment therapy of 500mg three time’s day. Your circumstances bring back memories of my C-diff Journey. I was diagnosed by my primary doctor who was not well-versed on C-diff. He only prescribed Flagyl (250 mg.) twice a day, and, in the beginning of therapy treatment, all symptoms improved. However, that was short lived, and I was eventually referred to a GI. However, I think it was too late, as each medication therapy did not resolve my ongoing symptoms. I had to resort to Dr. Borody’s Home Enema Infusion Therapy which cured my C-diff Journey. S Boulidarii does make a difference with many individuals. According to my knowledge, it helps restore the gut flora. I sincerely hope that you continue to move forward in the direction of a complete recovery. I am not a doctor and the above comment is solely my opinon!!!! Prayers and well wishes going your way!!!! Please keep us updated!!!!
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Return to “Success Stories”