So far, so good......

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
lucas' grandma
Regular User

So far, so good......

Postby lucas' grandma » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Well, I was planning on an infusion from a new doc in Pittsburgh, he is ready to do it, but the hospital (West Penn Allegheny) is putting up many roadblocks so far. I have gotten tired of waiting and seeing many docs who promise they can do the transfer, only to hit a brick wall yet again. So.......I did a home infusion last week. It went really well, I was actually able to hold it the whole day, and that night. The next day, a normal BM in the morning, and once every morning since then. (I have been going at least 5 times before lunch every day since mid August) The first day I felt bloated, and very gurgly, a little abdominal tenderness, but that's all. Today is Christmas, and I feel great. I'm afraid to get too excited this early, but I haven't felt this way in a long time. Just the fact that this may have worked has so lifted my spirits. I will keep you all updated as the days go by......this is the best Christmas....I get to spend with my family, not feeling sick!!
Bless you all this CHristmas, and my wish for all is good health for the coming year!!

Janet

p.s.: my husband is amused that he was able to give me shit for Christmas! hehehe....

bback12
Regular Contributor

Re: So far, so good......

Postby bback12 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm glad you are feeling better and things seem to be working! Great news!! I'll keep praying for you on your road to recovery and keep us posted!! Congrats again and Merry Christmas!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Wonderful news. Hope it holds also and this is the turn in the road that takes you back to good health. Carol
CAROL

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:13 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU! LOL, and it's the thought that counts, right?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:17 am

That's wonderful news, Janet. If you start getting symptoms back, you can always do another infusion. I know Dr. Borody's protocol recommends doing about a week's worth, but if one does it for you, so much the better. We had a poster on here whose doctor told her to do one a week for a while, and then one a month, and so one. She doesn't post anymore, so I assume she was cured. That is probably the best present your husband has ever given you - you know what they say - the best things in life are free!

JoElizabeth
Regular Contributor

Postby JoElizabeth » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:44 pm

Janet! I am SO happy that you're feeling better. I've been thinking of you!

At least you will always remember your gift from your hubby this year. :)

I pray these infusion(s) work for you and please keep us updated.

Here's to a healthier 2012!

jo

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Janet,
What great news, especially around the holidays!!!!! I felt instant relief after my first infusion as well. I agree with Beth in regard to additional infusions, if necessary. I had contact with Dr. Borody’s office during my infusion process and was told that if I had future disturbances, I could follow-up with additional infusions. In addition, I was told that there was no need to prep at that juncture. If I’m ever in need of antibiotic therapy in the future, I plan on doing a few infusions during therapy treatment in an effort to protect against a possible relapse. A very Happy New Year to you and your family!!!!
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:57 am

Janet, thank you for sharing your good news! I wish you continued health and healing! Keep us posted. Success stories are so encouraging!

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:59 am

Janet, I do have a question... or two... did you take vanco a week or two before the infusion? Did you do a cleanse? Or did you just do an infusion? Thanks!

lucas' grandma
Regular User

Postby lucas' grandma » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:39 pm

Debdee:
Yes, I took vanco before; I had actually been on vanco, 250 mg, 4 times a day for 6 weeks prior to the transfer. I was ready to start a taper, but just quit for the transfer. I did a cleanse, actually just an enema. Since I have had D 12-20 times a day, I just went on a clear liquid diet the day before, and the enema just produced mostly clear results, so I felt ready for the transfer.. I took one immodium the morning of the transfer. I also still take 2 florastor a day, and my 2 activia a day. Today is day 7 and I have one normal BM a day. No cramping, no nausea, no bloating, no diarrhea, I have had the best week physically than I have had in over a year. Even my time between relapses before this I never felt "well". I dealt with 12 recurrences during this past year. I lost 5 months of work. I plan on returning to work on January 9, after a final stool test next week.
I wish this kind of result for everyone. I only wish I had tried this much, much sooner. The ick factor is not that bad. It's worth it.

Happy holidays to everyone, and a new year of good health!!!!
love to all who stood by me during this rough year!
I promise to stay on here to update and for support!
Janet

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi Janet,
Thanks for the PM. I sent you another PM and now I just read this post, and see that you've answered one of the questions in my PM, so disregard. Thank you for the info.
It's such good news that you get to return to work after 5 months! That is wonderful and amazing that you feel well so quickly after the infusion. Great news and encouraging for all c.diff sufferers. It's a great way for you to start 2012!
Please keep updating every now and then! It's always so encouraging to get updates and read about continued healing and health post c.diff!

lucas' grandma
Regular User

Postby lucas' grandma » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:43 pm

OK, it's been over 2 weeks and I have been doing very well post transfer. I did a second transfer last week. I have been having one BM a day, perfectly normal every day. Then today, I had some urgency, and 4 times I passed (sorry-TMI) large globs of almost colorless mucous. No stool, just mucous. Then I had a normal BM, and tonight I feel fine. Anyone experience anything like this while recovering? I am going to do another transfer tomorrow, then 1 a week for a couple more weeks. I plan on going back to work next week, and I don't want to relapse.....*Thinking Positive*...............

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Dr. Borody's office recommended at least 5 infusions within a short period of time. I did 8 within a 9 day timeframe!!! It's been almost 3 years and no reoocurrences of actual c-diff symptoms have occurred!!!! Good luck!!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Yes, I"ve had the mucus thing. It is from inflammation I was told. Perhaps you ate something that irritated your colon or some spores activated and your now good bacteria took care of it. I wouldn't worry.

bback12
Regular Contributor

Postby bback12 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:43 pm

I agree with Beth here! Since you had a normal BM afterwards that's a good sign. I hope you continue to get better and better each day! :)

Return to “Success Stories”