cdiff a week after giving birth

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
renamom
Regular User

cdiff a week after giving birth

Postby renamom » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:09 pm

I gave birth October 20, 2011 and was given antibiotics for a fever i had during labor and the episiotomy for 2 days straight. Exactly a week later I had severe stomach cramping, diarreah and fever. I went to the ER and they said I had a UTI and was given more antibotics. Days later I was suffering and called my OBGYN who told me to go back to the ER and check for Cdiff. I was mortified bc i work at the hospital and i knew exactly what it was. Sure enough, I had Cdiff. My Dr. put me on Flagyl for 10 days, failed. I was put on Flagyl again, faliled. He then put me on liquid Vanco for 10 days, failed. Not only did I have post partum depression but i had to deal with this nonsense. Im crying as I type this because I couldnt breast feed and although I was pumping and dumping, my milk eventually dried up and lost the oppertunity to connect with my newborn in that manner.

I saw my Dr. on Thursday and gave me a Rx for Dificid but needed approval by the insurance company and authorization bythe DR bc its still new. While I waited for the meds, I gave myself 2 stool transfers on saturday and Sunday. Its monday today and I cant exactly say Im cured. I went to the restroom and my stool was semi solid, semi spongy. Im in limbo. Ive also been taking florastor. The pharmacy called today and said the Dificid is ready to be picked up. Im wondering if i should take it still or wait to see if im improving from my enema. Im a little worried taking such a new medication bc ive read about the side effects. Ill start it tomorrow if my symptoms dont subside.

JoElizabeth
Regular Contributor

Re: cdiff a week after giving birth

Postby JoElizabeth » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi, renamom

This should be such a joyous time for you. Im so sorry your'e dealing with c.diff.

I don't know about the fecal transfers. I'm sure someone else will come along to talk about that. Do you think you should call your doctor and ask him/her what they think about about you starting the Dificid now?

I do know about Dificid as I finished Dificid one month ago and I have not relasped. I still have some GI problems but my tests are negative. As for side effects, I think all of the c.dif meds have side effects. For me, Dificid was easier than vanco and I suffered no side effects at all. It was easily tolerated for me whereas I never felt very well on vanco.

Good luck!

jo

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:23 pm

I’m sorry you have to go through this ordeal, especially since giving birth to your adorable child. Never-the-less, I was cured of C-diff via the Home Enema Infusion Therapy Method. Usually, at least 5 infusions are recommended. In view of the fact that after two infusions you are experiencing a noticeable improvement, I would be hesitant to move forward with dificid. Perhaps, a few more enema infusions would prove useful in order for a full recovery. Of course, I would consult with your doctor first. I have Dr. Borody’s Home Enema Infusion Protocol. If you are interested, just pm me. I would be glad to email/forward you this procedure. Good luck to you!!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

renamom
Regular User

Postby renamom » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Ive decided to take the Dificid yesterday. I hope this works, I pray it will. If not, I will dig deep and hard to find a gastro in Los Angeles who is willing to perform a fecal transfer via colonoscopy. ive already told my Dr but he said he is sure that Dificid will work.

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Good luck with the Dificid. It worked for me. I hope it does for you.
Anne

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Good luck with the Dificid. It worked for me. I hope it does for you.
Anne

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Dear renamom,
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. I'm sorry that you're suffering with c.diff. I pray that the Dificid will cure you and that you can move forward and enjoy time with your baby. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing. I've been dealing with c.diff for two years. The flagyl didn't work, allergic to vanco and then took Xifaxan. After the Xifaxan, I did enema infusions, but it wasn't as effective as I had hoped. I'm testing negative for c.diff, but still don't feel very well. It seems that most people that have taken Dificid and posted their progress, have all had good results. God bless and keep you.

renamom
Regular User

Postby renamom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:14 am

Debdee,
Thank u for ur kind words and wishes. What symptoms are you having? I suffered from IBS before this ugly beast. Im guessing those of us that are going through this mess or have have gotten over it are left with sensitive GI's from all the damage and medication.

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:57 am

Hi renamom,
My leftover symptoms are lack of appetite, can't eat all the foods I used to eat like salads, dairy. I have more of a sensitive tummy. Also, I must still have some gut damage because I'm not gaining weight very well. Before c.diff, I could eat anything and rarely got a stomach ache. Also, before c.diff, I slept well, and now I don't. Did you have any sleep issues with c.diff?

If you don't mind me asking, did you have your donor tested before the infusion? I had both of mine tested, but still ended up with a few problems from that. It was hard for me to know what to do, so I just made the best choices I could with what I had. I'm thankful Dificid is another choice now. How are you doing today? Is Dificid easy to tolerate?

renamom
Regular User

Postby renamom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:17 am

Debdee,
Since having cdiff I havnt been able to sleep well. There have been nights when I dnt sleep at all from the anxiety and stress hoping that a treatment will work. Having a newborn Dsnt help either. I might need a sleep aid or something for anxiety.
As for the transfusion, I did not test my donor. I had a lot of confidence that my donor was exceptionally healthy. Shes one of those healthy hippy-ish holistic type who eats only organic and is against all processed foods. I had asked her if she had any health conditions or took meds and she was in the clear. She really is the ideal donor. She ate all kinds of wierd vegetables and fish so her sample would be beneficial. If I could I wd continue the transfers but it's tough when caring for a newborn. That is why I settled with the dificid. I'm just worried the dificid won't work.

renamom
Regular User

Postby renamom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:22 am

... As for tolerating the dificid, it makes me neaseous. I know it's been only 3 days but I havnt seen any real improvement compared to liquid vanco which was almost immediately. I will keep posting progress with the dificid.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Best of luck to you, and hopefully the dificid will kill the beast.

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi renamom,
I ended up taking Ambien for sleep and then switched to clonazepam. I think it would be best if you discussed it with your doctor since you have a newborn to care for. You want to be able to hear the baby at night. Maybe try some gentle herbal relaxers. Your friend, who was the donor, may know about that. Those types of things helped me at first. My c.diff issues lasted longer than it should have because I listened to a naturopath that told me she could cure me with probiotics and hydrotherapy. She said I'd be crazy to take more antibiotics. I learned the hard way she was wrong and it delayed my treatment. But I do think natural relaxers might help.

I hope each day you feel better on the Dificid. So far, it seems everyone who has taken it, has had success, so it should be the same for you. Thankfully you have a good donor that is willing to help, so you always have that option! My donors had health issues, but it's all I had. I believe it did help, but also not the success I had been hoping for. I think finding a good donor is important. I pray for continued healing for you! Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. It's great when people come back after being cured and post their success!

renamom
Regular User

Postby renamom » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:04 am

Day 5 on Dificid. No real big improvments. Worried that it isnt going to work. I have the same amount of cramping and gurgling and D. I pray to god it will work. Ill keep posting. Hopefully ill get over the hump.

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:00 am

Hang in there. I have great hope that the Dificid will work for you. A Christmas miracle is what we need. Keep praying.
Anne

Return to “Success Stories”