Mayo Cured me!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
elisa
Regular User

Mayo Cured me!

Postby elisa » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:01 pm

I could not be happier to report that after a year of fighting the nasty disease that is C Diff, and the horrendous auto-immune disease it caused, I am cured of both. Yes. I said cured!

I could continue to write a novel explaining my journey, but you all know where to find my story (Case Histories) and can read it there.

What seemed to finally work was an extremely long taper of Vanco with a chaser of Rifaximin (spelling?!). I stopped taking probiotics months ago, I found the side effects to be adding more misery to the whole ordeal. My doctor also had me mix in Cholestyramine in when my stool was more mucus than anything else, and that seemed to help things immensely.

I cannot begin to describe how thankful I am for the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
While my microscopic colitis may come back in the future, I don't care, right now neither of the diseases are in my body and I can focus on getting my life back.

This ordeal has put a lot into perspective for me and I am not going to assume that just because I am young, 24, that I will automatically remain healthy. It's time to take better care of myself. :)

elisa
Regular User

Re: Mayo Cured me!

Postby elisa » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:08 pm

Just in case anybody is wondering what the long taper was I will post it below--I haven't cross checked this against my case history though and am just trying to write this from memory.
I hope this helps
Weeks 1&2: Vanco 4x daily
Weeks 3-5: Vanco 2x daily
Weeks 6-8: Vanco 1x daily
Weeks 9-11: Vanco 1x every other day
Weeks 12-13: Vanco 1x every three days
Weeks 13-14: Rifxamin 2x daily

Whenever my symptoms got worse my doctor immediately bumped me back up the previous dosage of vanco I was taking, as well as having me take Cholestyramine 2x daily.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Congratulations!!!! I love success stories. Thank you for sharing your individual victory/triumph. May the future bring you continual success. Take Care!!!
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Congrats. & thanks for sharing.

JoElizabeth
Regular Contributor

Postby JoElizabeth » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:31 pm

That's wonderful news and very inspiring. Thank you for sharing!

JenniferH
Regular Contributor

Postby JenniferH » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Very interesting what you stated about the probiotics. Can you tell me more info, on how they caused more issues?

charsmama
Regular User

Postby charsmama » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks for sharing. I have wanted to get my daughter into Mayo Clinic in Rochester. I am hoping we can. THey sent me a letter of denial because only one dr sent them any records. I have to get ALL the records together and have a doc refer us and then I think we will get in. How long did it take you to get into them?

lamonta1270
Brand New Poster

Postby lamonta1270 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:57 pm

After much bad treatment from the doctors in my city. I decided to take my 11 year old out of school for a week and rent a hotel room 2 blocks from the Mayo Clinic in Minn. Before traving over 100 miles by train I called insurance company and Mayo to make sure no referral was needed. Got there and was told needed referral. Went crazy in the place because they tryed to make me feel like I dropped the ball. After going back to hotel and making numerous phone calls,saw a gastrologist the next day and was put on a simple tapering process that any doctor that specializes in intestinal problems should have known. I am doing great and have started the 2 week once a day on vaca. After the insurance incident I was treated with the upmost respect and I feel hopeful. If you can go to Mayo,don't hesitate,Please go!!!!!! I have tested negative twice but as we know this is a veery tricky disease. I have a doctor at home and the Mayo clinic working together to help me get throught this.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 pm

I had the opposite result in l993 - was misdiagnosed at Mayo - but was on Vanco. which negated the tests. "Different strokes for different folks." Am glad you had a good experience.

Return to “Success Stories”