Finally Free!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
vkannon
Brand New Poster

Finally Free!

Postby vkannon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:56 am

I was treated first with Flagyl for 10 days, then Vancocin for 14 days and then 14 more days. I was really getting scared. I knew my age (73) was against me. My doctor referred me to someone else in his practice who, he said, has an interest in C. Diff. After asking a zillion questions and many tests, he concluded that the C. Diff was gone but I had Post Infectious C.Diff Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which about 10-15% of C. Diff patients get. I couldn't tell when the C. Diff ended and the IBS started. They both made me go to the bathroom, and with the Vancocin, the worst symptoms were no longer present. He took me off of the bland diet I'd been on for diarrhea and put me on a diet of 25-30 g. of fiber a day. It made a difference in about a week. Then he added 1 Immodium in the morning and, if necessary, another at night. I am much improved. I am thankful that I live close enough to Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville, TN to get a sharp doctor.

lindylu3
New User

Re: Finally Free!

Postby lindylu3 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your success. Your story gives others hope. Continued good health and happiness to you!!

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:02 pm

I'm not a doctor, but taking 2 Imodium a day right after being cleared of C-Diff by your physician doesn't make an ounce of sense to me. In my opinion, you really should not be taking Imodium on a daily basis. It's a medication that your body could get dependent upon, and it can trap the bad bateria within the intestinal tract. Maybe it's time for a second opinion!!!!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

vkannon
Brand New Poster

Postby vkannon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:11 pm

Well, I am better than I've ever been since this whole mess started. Remember, this is IBS now and not C.Diff. The treatments are different. The doctor is in the Digestive Disease Center at Vanderbilt, so I think he knows what's going on.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:30 pm

It's important to have confidence in your doctor. I wish you well!!!!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Return to “Success Stories”