Sharing what worked for me

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
roseburg
New User

Sharing what worked for me

Postby roseburg » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:14 pm

I had a very severe dental-sinus infection early in the year which lasted several months. After several rounds of antibiotics which included 31 days of Clindamycin I developed C- difficille-- confirmed by lab stool sample. I was prescribed Flagyl for 10 days which helped, but during my course of Flagyl I consulted with a good Naturorpathic doctor to educate myself on restoring my intestinal health. I wanted to avoid the continual antibiotic therapy that often ensues with c-diff. I found that all probiotics are not the same. Buy from a reliable source. Include Saccro- B probiotics. Eat sauerkraut, miso (a fermented paste used in cooking, found in health food sections of the grocery store) purchase an intestinal repair amino acid powder--my Naturopath had excellent ones available which didn't taste terrible and really helped my gut heal. Add a tincture of Oregon Grape, Golden Seal and Viburnum (also known as Cramp-bark). The naturopathic doctor can mix this for you. It worked tremendously for me. I ate alot of plain organic yogurt while healing too, but did learn that it is not really an easily digested protien, so don't over do the dairy.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Sharing what worked for me

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:48 am

Can you post the name of the amino acid powder? I know that L-glutamine is supposed to help heal the intestines - I assume there are other amino acids as well. I would be interested in getting some.

roseburg
New User

Postby roseburg » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:26 am

Yes, I would be happy to. The brand of intestinal repair is called Biogenesis. It contains L glutamine along with a variety of other extracts, etc. It was very beneficial in healing my gut. Best to you!

lindylu3
New User

Postby lindylu3 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:55 am

Congratulations on your success! I have seen sauerkraut suggested on these boards in other posts. Could you share any knowledge regarding what it provides in the healing process. Thank you and continued good health!

roseburg
New User

Postby roseburg » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:44 am

Thank you! The sauerkraut is fermented food which contains some acidophillus according to what I have been told. The miso is fermented rice, soybeans and sea salt. It can be used to make soup broth and my Naturopath suggested it as well. Best to you!

roseburg
New User

Re: Sharing what worked for me--better details!

Postby roseburg » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:06 pm

I thought I might provide greater details regarding what worked for me... The probiotics I used were purchased from my Naturopath dr. She informed me that many brands have been tested and fail miserably in their claims of potency . She prescribed Sacro B by Thorne 2x per day and HlC high potency capsules by Pharmex 1x per day. I keep them refrigerated. The intestinal repair powder is made by Biogenesis and contains L Glutamine and many other healing ingredients-- too many to list. I took this powder in juice or soy mile or even water-- it isn't bad tasting--2 x per day and it helped my belly heal. Vitamin C / 500 mg 2x per day. No kidding, it works to clean up toxins and dead cells. I plan to take C for a long time. The Oregon Grape extract mixed with Goldenseal and Viburnum was my lifeboat when I had a minor relapse... I was very skeptical, but it helped within 2 days. The Oregon Grape acts as an antimicrobial-- and C- diff are not resistant to it the way they are with many antibiotics. Because of the effects of the Oregon Grape extract I didn't have to take another round of antibiotics when I had my recurrence. It was wonderfully effective with no side effects. The Goldenseal works as an astringent and anti-inflammatory. The Viburnum is also called Cramp-Bark. It helped with-- you guessed it, the cramping and pain. These were mixed into a tincture --which I took by a dropper (3 of them) 2 X per day . I took this tincture about 1/2 hour before the probiotics because the Oregon Grape extract can wipe out a few of the good bacteria as well, but nothing like antibiotics do. The tincture tasted awful but was well worth it. I ate lots of cabbage, plain organic Greek yogurt (Oikos brand) and sauerkraut (has good bacteria like acidophillus). Roasted root vegetables such as beets and sweet potatoes were easy to digest and gave my depleted system excellent nutrition . The sauerkraut and yogurt were taken in bites through out the day to keep them in my intestines. I did learn that after C diff are extremely vulnerable to developing food allergies. If you can tolerate goat products they are easier for human digestion than dairy yogurts. Still working on the goat yogurt transition... It kind of grosses me out! Wishing all of you success and good health-- and most of all encouragement. It gets better. I promise.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks for all that information. I will print this out. We appreciate your sharing it with us and wish you continued good health.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks for providing this info-I'm going to talk with my natural path about the info.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:58 am

I know little about the supplements you mentioned. If it doesn't hurt, might help, go for it. I would check out L Glutamine, however -- thinks there is time limit on the time you can take it.

Best of luck.

roseburg
New User

Postby roseburg » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:28 am

Interesting to know about L glutamine. I have not had to take that for awhile now-- it was to help short term when I was experiencing the most tenderness. At my next visit with my Naturopath I will get more info on possible long term issues with L glutamine use. Knowledge is power-- that we do know! Thank you for your post... :)

vkannon
Brand New Poster

Postby vkannon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:39 pm

My appendix burst in March, but I survived and my body walled it off to protect me. Two weeks later I developed chills and soreness.I spent 3 days in the hospital and went home to continue taking Flagyl and Levaquin for the infection for 2 more weeks. Six weeks later I developed C. Diff. I took Flagyl for 10 days. On my last day on Flagyl I had a colonoscopy (with biopsies)to see if the appendix episode did any damage to my colon. Everything was great. No more C. Diff, but then 3 days later, there it was again with the chills and other, even more unpleasant, side effects. I was put on Vancocin for 14 days, but didn't get better, so another 14 days was prescribed. I was not improving so I was referred to another doctor in the practice. At my appointment he asked a zillion questions and ordered blood and stool tests. When the results came back, he called twice in one day with more questions. Then he told me to go on a high fiber (25-30 g. a day) diet. I had been eating the chicken soup, peanut butter, potatoes, and bread diet for the diarrhea. He said to eat little sugar, no dairy, and NO artificial sweeteners. In a week there were significant improvements. I am now in my 2nd week on this diet and have added 1 Immodium in the morning and 1 at night, if needed. I have Post- Infectious C. Diff. Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which 10 to 15 % of C. Diff patients get. I do not know when the C. Diff left and the other symptoms began. This is like a miracle to me! Maybe this will be true for a few of those people who can't seem to get better. Maybe you are like me and have cured the C. Diff but now have IBS. I was lucky to have knowledgeable doctors in a large medical center (Vanderbilt) to help.

roseburg
New User

Postby roseburg » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:42 pm

I am sorry that you had such a battle-- but happy to hear that you are now better. Fortunately for me, I do not seem to be having IBS or any discomfort in my GI tract at all since following the regimen given to me by my Naturopath --
which I detailed in my previous post. So far so good! Thanks for the input and I wish you continued good health! :)

Toria
New User

Postby Toria » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:41 am

I have bought the Biogenesis intestinal repair. I believe this will be beneficial and thanks for mentioning it. My belief is that the food sensitivities and some of the other symptoms we
may be experiencing is because the walls of our gut have been harmed and need to be repaired. I also have a question regarding sauerkraut. If you heat it and cook with it, does it kill off the bacteria that is beneficial? I bought some Bubbies kraut at whole foods which is unpasturized and supposed to contain the good bacteria but I don't want to kill it off. I don't really enjoy uncooked kraut though.

Toria
New User

Postby Toria » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:50 am

I found out cooking does kill the good bacteria in sauerkraut. I did find a sauerkraut salad recipe on the internet that is like cole slaw so that may be an option. I also think I could make a ham and cheese sandwich and put room temperature sauerkraut on it to get some of the good of it. I bought Bubbies from Wholefoods.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Toria, How did you find that info out about cooking saurekraut does kill the good bateria. Never heard of such a thing and was just wondering.... Thanks!!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Return to “Success Stories”