So Far So Good!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
handwasher
Regular Contributor

So Far So Good!

Postby handwasher » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm afraid to say I took my last Flagyl three weeks ago on July 5th and things seem normal! Finally getting appetite back,Bm normal havn't gained back weight but that's OK! I just hope it stays this way. I'm scared to death if I have to take antibiotics! Does anyone know if C-Diff can cause acid reflux? That seems to be better too. Hope you are all feeling better!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: So Far So Good!

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:40 am

Some people do complain about acid reflux type symptoms, but my guess is that it is from the medications they took for c diff and not the c diff itself. C diff can give nausea. I would assume that all the irritation in the digestive tract from the illness, the meds, the imbalance of bacteria, etc. probably could cause it. Your system will need time to hear, but it sounds as if it is doing just that. Wishing you well!

Elvish
Regular Contributor

Postby Elvish » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:53 am

I felt like I had acid reflux/heartburn type symptoms while on Flagyl and a little while following, but they went away after the Flagyl was gone and out of my system - I think it took a little while, though. I attributed it to the Flagyl rather than the c-diff.

Patient2apoint
New User

Postby Patient2apoint » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:33 pm

handwasher: I hope you are still in great shape. As far as heartburn/reflux symptoms are concerned, I had them while taking Clindamycin (which caused the c diff) and until starting flagyl, later vanco. They disappered while taking vanco. they came back each time I was OFF Vanco preceeding each relapse. I actually have had fewer upper gi prolems while dealing with c diff with vanco. Have your reflux and heartburn problems dissipated?
I wonder how long you hold your breath after the end of treatment before you are comfortable saying, I am cured?

handwasher
Regular Contributor

Postby handwasher » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:21 pm

Well, I still wonder if you ever are fully rid of it. I think the IBS can be a problem afterwards. I had that before CDiff. If you take Flagyl and test negative it would seem to me you would have to come in contact with the spore again before you would get it again. I understand you have to come in contact with the spore before you can get it even if you take antibiotics. All I know I'm scared to death to take antibiotics again. I think I came in contact with the spore when I had a colonoscopy in December. I got sick in May with C-diff after taking antibiotics 3 or 4 times in a month. I never want to go thru it again!!!!

Patient2apoint
New User

Postby Patient2apoint » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:50 am

I am with you on that! Hoping you never go through it again. Presumably, you are still cdiff free with GI problems improving.

I believe if antibiotic use was the sole known risk factor, you could also assume you had c diff as a normal part of your flora and the antibiotics threw your balance so out of whack, the c diff took over. I guess time is needed to build your normal make-up to sort of re-contain it, since nothing really kills the spores. That is my assumption about my own situation as I had not had antibiotics in over 10 yreas until a course of Clindaycin that preceded my cdiff by about 10 days. I admit I was a very lucky man until this.

Return to “Success Stories”