last day of vanco

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
karol123
Regular User

last day of vanco

Postby karol123 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:50 pm

i was in the hospital for 4 days with a severe case of cd. came home on flagyl. still lots of d but after a week started to feel better and d went away although stools not back to normal. after finishing flagyl and about a week later i had a day of d. called the doc and she suggested waiting unti the next day. well, it got better. so another week went by and d again. this time i knew for sure and had a stool sample. yep, it was back. fortunately, recognizing the symptoms this time didn'tfeel bad just d and started on vanco. after a late afternoon dose and night dose, by morning the d was gone. i've had closer to normal stools but not like before, today, my last day of vanco (10 days) has been the closest too normal. so, i can hardly call myself a success story yet, but i do feel different this time. before i just felt like i knew the c diff was still there, this time on vanco i have felt much better. took and still taking florastor midway between each dose of vanco twice a day. after my third day on vanco added another probiotic, not sure, think it makes me more gassy, but seem to tolerate it alright. wish me luck, and thank everyone for their posts. i'll keep u posted as well. 56 years old, female, and got cd from antiobiotics.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Re: last day of vanco

Postby Kathy George » Tue May 31, 2011 9:23 pm

First and foremost, I do wish you luck!!! It clearly appears that you are making headway in your therapy treatment. You may have some bumps and bruises, but that is expected during the typical treatment process. You are fortunate that you are so in-sync with your present health condition. That being said, you know the indication and warning signs if the beast would returned. In that respect, you can react accordingly. Good luck to you and keep on posting!!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:25 am

First, let me give you the standard introduction: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST and its subtopics - especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site and answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's and Dr.McDonald's articles and some of the topics in CDI - formerly FAQ - especially Hygiene, Nutrition, and Testing.

The majority (almost 80%) recovers with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin, but an unlucky small percentage does not and can suffer for months. Everyone eventually recovers, however, unless other factors are involved such as severe health problems or advanced age. If antibiotics contributed to your C diff, be careful about taking them again. (See CDI - Antibiotics). Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop C diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article).

Good to hear that you are doing better on the vanco. Probiotics can give gas, bloating, and even D. You may find that once you finish the vanco, you may not tolerate the probiotic with the bacterial strains as well as you may need a lower dose. The vanco kills a lot of that type of probiotic and when you are not taking it, you may need less. If the gas becomes too bothersome, there are other probiotics that you can try. I had to try several before I found one that agreed with me halfway. Good luck to you and I hope this last round of meds kicked it for you. Let us know how you do.

karol123
Regular User

Postby karol123 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:17 pm

thank you so much for your encouragement and information. for the last 7 days of my vanco i also began taking Primadophilus Opitima. 14 strain blend plus scFOS. 35 billion CFU. the lady at the health food store said this would be better to take then just the asodophilus because of the c diff. she said asodophilus alone is more for maintenace. so, i'm wondering if i need to continue with the Prima. and instead maybe switch to just asodophilus now that i'm off the vanco. you know how it is, when your feeling better, you're afraid to change anything. i will check with dr. just wondererd what anyone else has done once you go off the vanco. thanks again, i'll keep u posted.

karol123
Regular User

Postby karol123 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:20 pm

p.s. plan to continue florastor twice a day

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:39 pm

Taking Florastor during post C-Diff is crucial to your overall recovery.... Taking the same dosage for a fews weeks during post c-diff is acceptable. I would suggest to taper down after a month or two. (i.e. 2 a day first month , then 1 a day second month , and lastly, 1 every other day.) This gives your intestines some time for readjustment. Take care and I'm so happy that you are doing so well!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Mashy
New User

Postby Mashy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:01 pm

Hello
Hope you are still feeling better.
I am on my second dose of Vanco afer the first dose I relapse about 7 days after I stopped taking it. I am on Vanco now and will end it on Feb 7th when I am on the Vanco I feel GREAT..
I am hopeful after I am done with this 14 day dose I will be free of the C diff and all the symptoms. when you took the Vanco were you feeling good ?
I am afraid of what will happen when I end this dose.

On the Vanco I can eat well and seem to be gaining the weight back and also feeling better. Wonder if it is just the Vanco.. I am also on a probotic (florstar 2x a day) and Allign another probotic and yogurt lots of it...

Any other suggestions.. how long overall did you have?

Return to “Success Stories”