SUCCESS STORY W/O ANTIBIOTICS

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
jrhardin@usa.net
New User

SUCCESS STORY W/O ANTIBIOTICS

Postby jrhardin@usa.net » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:21 pm

The A & B strains of C. diff took up residence in my gut giving me a miserable six months. Now my gut has normalized without using any antibiotics. Instead, I took:

* Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS (Jarrow brand) to kill off the C. diff - 3 caps 3X/day

* Allicidin Complex (Premier Research Labs brand) to break down the capsules C. diff forms in the gut walls to protect itself from destruction - 2 caps 3X/day

* Lots of good prebiotics & probiotics to support the repopulation by good digestive bacteria

* Bubbies Sauerkraut - found refrigerated in jars at Whole Foods & other stores). This tasty fermented food kills off C. diff & prevents its return.

It just made no sense to me to use antibiotics, which were responsible for my getting C. diff in the first place, to fight it. So I worked with my chiropractor & a naturopathic physician to come up with supplements & foods to get my digestion back to normal.

Now that the C. diff has been vanquished many months ago, I'm continuing on a daily maintenance dose of prebiotics & probiotics, 2 Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS caps, and 2 Allicidin Complex caps 3X/day to keep it from returning.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Re: SUCCESS STORY W/O ANTIBIOTICS

Postby Kathy George » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Congratulations to you on your corrective measures to combat C-Diff!!!!! The combination of provisions/requirements that necessitated your cure for C-Diff was very interesting and convincing. Your input provides hope to those suffering from recurrent C-Diff.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

jrhardin@usa.net
New User

Postby jrhardin@usa.net » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:34 pm

I've been invited by the editor of the Oriental Medicine Journal to write a full account of how I vanquished C. difficile w/o antibiotics. A first draft of the article is almost done. Don't know when the finished piece will appear in the Journal.
Joan

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Again congratulations!!!! I found your original post most interesting. Please let us know when this article is published.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

marthad
Brand New Poster

Postby marthad » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:11 am

I had c-diff so bad I was hospitalized with it 6 times in 2009. I didn't realize it, but I just lived with it in 2010 after an endiscopy and colonoscopy made a doctor claim that nothing was wrong with me.
Finally, another doctor tested me in late 2010 and told me I never got over it, it kept growing back. Now to an infectious disease doctor who told me that some people don't produce the anti-body to overcome it.
She put me on 14 days of Vinco and 14 days of Xifaxan. She told me I'd probably relapse. I did. 4 more weeks of the same meds.
In the 3rd week I read a story on the internet about a guy with Candida. He said that by taking a certain probiotic it changed his life by getting over a number of conditions. I started taking it and I AM WELL. No more drugs! He does not sell this or profit from it. It's called symbion. You can google it. It's used to treat the over growth of yeast. I had tried so many probiotics I thought it couldn't hurt.
If you're still suffering it's worth a try. It makes sense. Overdoses of antibiotics cause yeast infections as well as c-diff. I have a slight slip once or twice a month, but for the most part I'm finally normal. I hope this helps you. I would not wish living with c-diff on my worst enemy.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:39 am

I know a woman who had c diff, SIBO and then kept having continuing problems with gas, cramping, D. She tried Symbion and it made her symptoms worse, so she got her money back for it. She then tried Nystatin and it did not help her either. Finally, her doctor told her to take Diflucan for a week and her D subsided and she felt better, although she still gets gas and cramping. But, I guess, like with all probiotics, it is an individual thing. Some work for some people, but not for others. I'm glad symbion helped you.

rimbaud
New User

Postby rimbaud » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:30 am

Joan,

Did you space the probiotics away from the Allicidin when taking them? What other probiotics did you take? Thanks.

jrhardin@usa.net
New User

Postby jrhardin@usa.net » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:50 am

My article will come out 7/15/11 in the July 2011 issue of the Oriental Medicine Journal:

Successful Holistic Treatment of Clostridium Difficile Gut Infection: Case Study

by Joan Rothchild Hardin, PhD

Here's the Journal's website:
http://www.omjournal.com/

Joan

jrhardin@usa.net
New User

Postby jrhardin@usa.net » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:28 am

8/8/2011
My article, Successful Holistic Treatment of Clostridium Difficile Gut Infection: Case Study, has been published in the Oriental Medicine Journal, July 2011, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 24-37.

I've made a copy of it but don't know see a way to attach it here. The pdf file is 15,264K, bigger than some people's email allows.

The article will probably soon be reproduced on the Peggy Lillis Memorial Foundation's website. If it's not included with "C. diff stories" (under "About C. diff" at the top of the page), perhaps it will be found under "Resources".
http://www.peggyfoundation.org/index.php

The issue can also be ordered directly from the Oriental Medicine Journal for $14. It's the issue listed at the very bottom of this page:
http://www.omjournal.com/archive.html

Wishing you all success in dealing with your own C. diff problems.

Joan Rothchild Hardin, PhD

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Congrats. on conquering C. diff. without script meds.

We don't recommend or endorse any drug, supplement, or other treatment on this site but applaud your success. I've copied the information on your article in the forum CDI - Articles Written By C. diff. Experts/Other C. diff. Info. so it won't be lost in all the posts. (Unfortunately, the forum can't be alphabetized.)

Thank you for the information.

jrhardin@usa.net
New User

Postby jrhardin@usa.net » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks, Bobbie.
Joan

marthad
Brand New Poster

Postby marthad » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:38 am

I am so happy to tell you it's over for me. 2 1/2 years of misery for me and my husband. I highly recommend Symbion as a probiotic. The last thing my doctor gave me was Alinia for two weeks. I think that in combination with some serious bed rest really made the whole thing go away. I KNOW now, we don't realize how sick we are until we get well. It's like we get used to it, and think this is just the way it's going to be from now on. Don't give up! Everyone is different. I myself, am a slow healer, even from a scrape. More rest, less stress and a good infectious disease doctor willing to play some cards are all positive.

I wish there was a way we could lobby all medical facilities to use bleach to kill this thing. I won't even touch a magazine in a doctor's office anymore.

The good news is, YOU CAN GET WELL. You won't believe the difference when you do. Have your doctor keep trying different things. You never know what will work for you!

I actually get hungry again, and I even have some difficulty having a regular "going event" every day. It's a welcome relief from what I have been through.

My heart goes out to all of you. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, but again, IT WILL GO AWAY. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!

jrhardin@usa.net
New User

Postby jrhardin@usa.net » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:57 am

Congratulations on being cured, Marthad! I know what you mean about not realizing how sick you were until you're truly well.

The Peggy Lillis Memorial Foundation is doing just what you suggest. All of us who've been affected by C. diff can work with & support them, send our stories to be posted on their site.

Their Mission Statement:
The Peggy Lillis Memorial Foundation works to increase prevention of and minimize death and disability resulting from clostridium difficile infection and associated diseases by educating physicians, patients, and the public at large, and by advocating for proven solutions within health care and public health systems.
http://www.peggyfoundation.org/

Joan

jrhardin@usa.net
New User

Postby jrhardin@usa.net » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:07 pm

Here's the full text of my article published in the Oriental Medicine Journal. David Miller, MD, has posted it on his blog:

http://issuu.com/davidmiller4/docs/c._d ... cle_lo_res

Wishing you all success over C. difficile!

Joan Rothchild Hardin, PhD

Beachlvr
New User

Postby Beachlvr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Joan I did the same thing as you! I have been C. Diff free for a year. After several tries at antibiotics, I ate a holistic diet and consumed large amounts of probiotics. I was very strict about it. It worked so quickly and I felt alive again. I had it relapse at least 5x over 9 month period before I tried getting rid of it without antibiotics. I too got c. diff from taking antibiotics so I had the same feelings as you.

Return to “Success Stories”