C. Diff. infection and probiotics

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
CarrieAnn
Brand New Poster

C. Diff. infection and probiotics

Postby CarrieAnn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:44 pm

I saw my family doctor on Jan 6th for a sinus infection and was given a prescription for the antibiotic Ceftin. I had taken this antibiotic before and it had been a little tough on the digestive system. This time was different. On the 5th day, I began having stomach cramps and loose stool. The next day, I consulted my pharmacist who recommended yogurt and acidophilus (a probiotoc) and I chose to cut my dosage of Ceftin in half. On the morning of the 4th day of loose stool (9th day taking meds...a Friday), I called my doctor's office, spoke to the nurse and reported the issue. I had started the "BRAT" diet (bannanas, rice, applesauce, toast) and wasn't improving. I thought they might change my meds, but I was told to bear with it and the symptoms would subside when I finished the Ceftin. The next day I decided the medication was making me far sicker than the sinus infection, which was not full-blown, and against doctor's orders, I discontinued the Ceftin. Two days later, a Monday, I was back in the doctor's office, miserable. I had thrush on my tongue and a vaginal yeast infection. I was in the bathroom 1 to 1 1/2 hours after I would eat with horrible stomach cramps, diarreha and sharp gas pains. My doctor informed me that a C. Diff. infection is a possible side-effect of this class of antibiotics. I was told that if I did not improve in a few days to return for testing and that I might need a 2nd antibiotic. He gave me a prescription for Diflucan to take for 6 days, which cleared up the fungal infections. That night I was up every hour all night long running to the toilet, but after that I did start to see improvement. I ate greek yogurt 3x/day in addition to taking the acidophilus. I was not having blood or mucus in my stool, but I was extremely fatigued and barely able to fix myself something to eat and bathe.

I am now almost two weeks free of diarrhea. From reading some of the posts, I am one of the more fortunate victims. My heart goes out to those of you who have been traumatized and terrorized by severe cases of C. Diff. infection. From the time I began having issues until the time I was regular again, one full month passed. This has been extremely dibilitating and my kids and husband have suffered because I was not able to care for them. My mother came and stayed with us for a week to give me time to rest and get back on my feet. Even so, I was feeling depressed at how isolating this infection can be. No one had heard of it before nor did they understand how traumatic it can be. No one likes to talk about diarrhea. I felt humiliated and inhuman.

I do not recommend that anyone ignore their doctor's advice. What I have read on the internet about C. Diff. is frightening! It makes me SO angry that there is so little information and support out there for this condition. What makes me angry is that this may have been prevented or at least minmized if my doctor had also prescribed multiple probiotics as a safety net along with the antibiotic. When I returned to the doctor's office the 3rd time, tests were ordered. I had read about probiotics on the internet. (There are some 400 different types of good bacteria living in our bowels). I asked the doctor to recommend probiotics and he gave me a list of 3, one of which was Florastor, a "good" yeast. The medical community as a whole does not fully appreciate the value of replacing the good bacteria destroyed by the broad-spectrum antibiotics with probiotics. Almost immediately after taking the Florastor I noticed my mental energy increased and I went from having diarrhea to loose stool. I also started taking Phillips Colon Health, which has 3 strains of good bacteria, including lactobacillius and bifidobacterium. Within a week I was regular again. I think that it is possible the Diflucan depleated the good yeast. By the time the test results were back, my doctor and I felt the antibiotic therapy wasn't necessary and we would give things 1 more week. We put the antibiotic on hold at the pharmacy as a back-up. My stamina has not fully returned, but I am able to resume a normal diet except for anything greasy, overly sweet or rich. I believe that in most cases taking the 2nd antibiotic is necessary, but what I don't think is being addressed is that you are still killing off the beneficial bacteria. I don't know why more attention isn't being given to this, but it makes perfect sense that recovery would happen the sooner the benefical bacteria replenish in the bowel and can do their job and the colon is healed.

It is so important that those of us who have been victimized by C. Diff. talk and share our experiences...even if we just tell our friends to ALWAYS ask their doctor about taking probiotics when prescribed an antibiotoc and also ask if the antibiotic being prescribed can trigger C. Diff. I've shared the information about C. Diff. from the CDC with my friends on Facebook. Two days ago, a friend called me and said another friend of hers said she got C. Diff. after taking an antibiotic for dental issues. She ended up in the emergency room and is on antibiotic therapy.

Tracy
New User

Re: C. Diff. infection and probiotics

Postby Tracy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:28 pm

I too am angry because I was given Cefdinir for an alleged sinus infection that I didn't have!! I have taken Vancomycin for 7 months now. I got a real sinus infection a few weeks ago and my doctor gave me Mucinex and a low dose steroid pill for swelling. Guess what?? The sinus infection went away!! WHY do these doctors give out antibiotics so easily?? They need to try c-diff and see how they like it.
Sorry I'm so angry. I'm trying to "Let go, and Let God!"

CarrieAnn
Brand New Poster

Postby CarrieAnn » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:19 am

Hi Tracy,
I share your anger. I was able to get over the c. diff.(at least I appear to have), but then I caught a cold virus that got the whole sinus thing going again. I was so afraid of getting another sinus infection that I did steam treatments 2x/day with an inhaler, used a Neti Pot to flush my nose with saliene, used warm facial compresses and took sudafed. I think if we were taught better about how to care for ourselves...particularly those of us who are prone to sinus infections...we could probably avoid antibiotics. Most of us just don't have the time to spare to heal the natural way and we want a quick fix.
I'm not a doctor and I would never suggest someone go against their doctor's orders, but I still question doctors prescribing months worth of antibiotics for c. diff. without prescribing probiotics. The antibiotics for c. diff. are not supposed to be as hard on the good bacteria, but I would think you are still figting a losing battle if the body isn't allowed to replenish itself with the good bacteria.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:50 am

I have to agree with you. The year before I was formally diagnosed with c diff, I had it, but did not know what it was. I found by "accident" that yogurt helped and I healed on my own. I did not have a relapse until I was given an antibiotic to take the year after, had a positive c diff test and had vanco thrown at me. I didn't want to take the vanco at first and my former GI scared me into doing so saying I could lose my colon, so I took it and now it is 3 years later and I still have low grade c diff in me and my body has never been the same nor can I eat what I used to be able to eat. And by not eat, I mean not eat a WHOLE lot of things. Not sure if part of it is a yeast overgrowth or SIBO or what. I am curious if you recall what your dosage of Diflucan was. You said you took it for 6 days. I know others who have been helped by Diflucan post c diff, but I would like to know how much so I can ask my doctor about it. I'm happy that you were able to get rid of it the way you did.

CarrieAnn
Brand New Poster

Postby CarrieAnn » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:47 pm

I actually got thrush like what infants get from an overgrowth of yeast in my body that was also triggered by taking Ceftin. The Diflucan for 6 days was to treat that. I believe that my yeast was too low after taking the Diflucan and that and that is why I responded so well to the Florastor probiotic...a "good yeast."
I'm sorry for your relapse. Seriously, I would ask your doctor about taking probiotics. Although they aren't widely recognized in the medical community because they are a supplement, I feel like replenishing the good bacteria may be the key to healing the membranes of the colon. That good bacteria is in there for a reason and repeated antibiotic use just prevents it from regenerating. The fact that you've taken the antibiotics repeatedly and still have not regained your health tells me that they alone are not the right remedy. It is almost like you have to find the right balance. Stay with what your doctor recommends. I found I had to eliminate sugar for awhile (use Stevia instead) and non-fermented dairy (milk) as well as greasy, fried food and chocolate. I could eat peas, green beans, potatoes, and carrots. You might have better luck with a D.O. or someone with a better working knowledge of vitamins and supplements. I was told to think along the lines of how a septic system works. Gross, yes, but there are similarities.

Return to “Success Stories”