I think it is gone

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
jnwelty
Regular User

I think it is gone

Postby jnwelty » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:35 pm

My story began with a simple nose surgery in mid April 2010--followed within 3 days by a staph--followed by 1 night in the hospital--followed c.diff--followed by a bunch of bad medical advice. So, about the first month I suffered because of clueless medical people ranging from my ears/eyes/nose guy to the Cleveland Clinic's local gastro doctor. Finally found my way to the local infectious disease doctor who put me on vanco (almost died with the flagyl) Did 2 weeks of vanco and it returned within a week. Then I did 20 days 4 pills, 20 days 3 pills, 20 days 2 pills and then 2 pills 3 days on 3 days off for about another 21 days. Thought that was overkill, but it worked so I'm not questioning success.

Since then I've had 3 bad rounds. Have determined they are caused more by anxiety. Every time I got anxious, my insides would start over working. Now that I know what is causing it, I haven't had any repeats.

At this point, I'm still scared to stick out my neck and use the word cured--but I feel normal and things are working normal--just don't want to jinx it.

Sure am glad I found this group. I want to wish you all well and thank you for the best advise I've had thru this thing.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: I think it is gone

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:01 pm

jnwelty,
Glad you are feeling better.

Know how you feel - none of us wanted to "jinx" ourselves by saying we were "cured." (It's part of the mind games C. diff. can do to you.)

The GI tract and the skin are the largest organs in our body. We've all heard stories of runners who vomit before a race, speakers who have D. before his/her speech, people who break out with acne or hives during stress. You've "hit the nail on is head." Stress doesn't cause C. diff. but it certainly can aggravate it.

Glad you are doing better. All we moderators and frequent posters appreciate your thanks.

acdcgirl
New User

Postby acdcgirl » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:03 am

I know the Flagyl about killed me too. Never been so sick in my life. I went out on a date one night and had a few beers. OMG! I didn't know you weren't supposed to drink with the Flagyl. But I was better after the round of antibiotics....then 3 days later it was back. My doctor put me on the other stuff, Vanco.....I think? It seem to be working. I just want my life back.

acdcgirl
New User

Postby acdcgirl » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:09 am

Bobbie wrote:
> jnwelty,
> Glad you are feeling better.
>
> Know how you feel - none of us wanted to "jinx" ourselves by
> saying we were "cured." (It's part of the mind games C. diff. can
> do to you.)
>
> The GI tract and the skin are the largest organs in our body. We've all
> heard stories of runners who vomit before a race, speakers who have D.
> before his/her speech, people who break out with acne or hives during
> stress. You've "hit the nail on is head." Stress doesn't cause C.
> diff. but it certainly can aggravate it.
>
> Glad you are doing better. All we moderators and frequent posters
> appreciate your thanks.

Well, if stress can aggrivate it, no wonder I feel like crap (no pun intended). My father died, I got a divorce, started school and took on an extra kid. I do know that on the days Im about to run away, it's at it's worse. I just get really sick when Im stressed. I think I got this about the time my dad died and that was very traumatic for me. I think I picked it up in the hospital where he was. I've had it once before but I think I got it from the hospital.

jnwelty
Regular User

Postby jnwelty » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:31 am

Just an update. I've been posting other areas in this group. After about 6 good months c diff came back in Apr 2011. No reason, just did. Did another long term on vanco which ended 3 weeks ago. I didn't feel sick the entire time so convinced myself it wasn't bad. Had no sickness, no weight loss, no dehydration, no food problems, just loose stools. After 1 week after pills tested negative. Like I said, now at 3 weeks. Insides messed up and taking lots of potty trips, so tested again this morning. Fingers crossed. Honestly, feel worse now than when I was on vanco. I think a lot of it is stress and anxiety. So, will feel better if this test is negative. Cross your fingers for me

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:42 pm

You might just be having a "bad day." My last active bout of C. diff. was in l999. (First bout was from l993-l999). I still have bad days - but they are less and less frequent.

Hang in there, but if your symptoms increase,contact your doctor. See CDI-The Three Day Rule and CDI-IBS. (They are not in alphabetical order.)

Fingers crossed for you!

jnwelty
Regular User

Postby jnwelty » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:18 am

Thought I would stick my neck out and update again. Have been off my vanco for 8 weeks. Right this minute I'm doing great. Had a few bad spells that I tested for, but I've tested negative since April and I'm not testing again unless I think something is wrong. After being on vanco most of the summer I finally got in to see my gastro doctor. Almost cancelled because I was doing so well, but since I had waited so long for the appointment, decided to go. His question was "why did you go to your family doctor and not me in the first place" DUH!! Because I couldn't get an appointment. He said he wouldn't have been so quick to toss the vanco at me. Thought this entire go round might have been caused by Post infectious IBS along with my missing gall bladder.

So, we will see. I pray this is my last entry and I thank you all for the support
janet

Return to “Success Stories”