success with fecal transplant

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
obp[
New User

success with fecal transplant

Postby obp[ » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:37 pm

After a 3 month bout with C. difficile colitis, I finally ended up in the hospital with elevated white count, fever, ileus, and started on IV Flagyl and oral Vancomycin. I was released after 9 days, and I immediately began researching fecal transplant. It didn't seem like anyone in my state would do them. I finally found a gastroenterologist who followed the methodology of Dr. Christina Surawicz in Seattle. I stayed on the Vancomycin X4 weeks prior to the procedure, and a donor stool preparation (I had to make and bring in myself) was administered via colonoscopy from the terminal ileum down. I am 6 weeks post procedure, and eat almost everything now! Dr Surawicz's paper listed what tests to perform on the donor stool and serum, and also how to prepare the donor specimen. Here is the reference: J Clin Gastroenterol 2010; Rohlke, Surawicz, and Stollman. I do not have the volume number or page numbers, because the article was not yet printed when I used it. I'm sure an online search would bring up the article. This seems to have worked for me.

muffin286
New User

Re: success with fecal transplant

Postby muffin286 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:19 am

I did a home fecal transplant this week. I used 3 donors, my daughter and the diapers from 2 grandsons. I rotated every 2 days. After 7 days, I am basically cured. It's the best day of my life! I cleaned out the first day. Mixed the sample with warm water, but I guess I should have used saline. I used enema bottles to insert before bed every night. I still take tons of probiotics. I'm eating a bland high fiber diet. 2 rounds of flagyl did nothing for me.

muffin286
New User

Postby muffin286 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:17 pm

I suppose it could have been a lil risky. I also use my sister 2 days & my daughter 2 days. Between the mix of all of them, It worked. It's been 1 week today and I'm remarkable better. No urgency, everything is formed and only 1-2 times per day. It's a miracle!

JenniferH
Regular Contributor

Postby JenniferH » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:36 pm

Congratulations obp on your recovery! Thats awesome!
I love reading success stories! Please continue to post on your progress!!!

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi obp and Muffin 286,

How are you both doing post infusions? Hope all is well. Keep us posted. I love reading success stories!

debdee

muffin286
New User

Postby muffin286 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:23 pm

OK, I have am approaching my one month date on Sept 7th. I have been perfectly normal since my 5th or 6th treatment. I did 7 just to be safe, and by the time I tried to do the 8th, there was no room, since I was almost constipated. It was the best feeling of my life!!

"I felt like I was on death row, and then they found me innocent" Literally, I very quickly had my life back. I still wake up every morning and I can't believe it's over!!

I did a cleanout once and then insert 2 enema bottles every night before bed. It just became my nightly routine. I will take probiotics for a long time and I will refuse all antibiotics for 2 years, unless my life was in danger.

Good Luck to those of you brave enough to take control of your own health!!

muffin286
New User

Postby muffin286 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:27 pm

At 2 mos, I am again perfectly normal. Send me a private message if you need help. There are lot of people taking control of their own situation, so there is strength in numbers. You need to know that you can beat this!!

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 pm

I love reading success stories. You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing and helping others.

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:39 pm

I just found out that after the fecal transplant, don't take too much vit C. Not over 250mg a day. More than that can have an antibiotic effect. Don't want that!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:54 pm

Too much Vit. C can promote D in "normal" people without GI problems.

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Yes, this is true. I just thought I'd post it just incase someone was thinking about taking Vit C to boost their immunity and then not know that it could disrupt the new infused flora. Unfortunately I did that. But then I'm odd that I don't get D from vit C..... or from much else.... just had loose stools and D a couple of times with c.diff. I think there is a problem with my immune system.... I'm hoping I continue to get better after the infusions I did last month. I'm stopping all vit C at this point.

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Does anyone know how long a potential donor has to be off of antibiotics before they can be a stool donor for stool infusion?
Thanks, Debdee

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:18 pm

According to the method I followed I believe it was 6mths.
Are you doing better?

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:25 pm

I seem to be relapsing after a month. Maybe I should do more infusions? How are you doing? How long has it been since your infusions?

gooday
Brand New Poster

Postby gooday » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:43 am

How many times do you have to infuse material before it works

Return to “Success Stories”