I am cured of cdiff after 7 month bout!!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
jaredkep
New User

I am cured of cdiff after 7 month bout!!

Postby jaredkep » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:37 pm

If it wasnt for this website and all the loving and kind people on here i do believe i would still have cdiff!!Heres how and here is my story....After suffering from pneumonia and then a prostate infection around May 2009 and being on 3 different antibiotics over the course of 2 months (2 separate courses of keflex and 1 course of a forgotten one and almost 30 DAYS of ciprofloxacin) I was infected with cdiff (who wouldnt after that!!)

So i was prescribed flagyl and told all would be well within 10 days. Well this was the beginning of a nightmare. Within a few days the flagyl was making my entire body or skin on my body to go numb like a very slow trickle of novacaine was being administered to me. If i had these side effects the directions told me to stop so i did and contacted my doctor. He then prescribed liquid vancomycin (250mg 4x a day for 2 weeks) and sad to say this also caused the same gradual numbness but not nearly as fast and severe as the flagyl.

I suffer from major depression and O.C.D so this was a horrifying experience to me. So basically for about 7 months I went the process of going through the waiting game and then going through excruciating pain and going to emergency and back and forth to my primary doctor with lots of false negative tests results and not giving me any vanco untill the test proved positive.

Eventually my doctor was giving me scripts of vanco whenever i needed without a test. I started to do research about stool transfers. A kind user named beth22 on here told me about where i could get a stool transfer done and the name of the doctor. I had a colonoscopy and everything was fine (besides cdiff).
Im on a program at my local general hospital that covers all cost. So i called and left a message with my G.I and asked about him referring me to doctor for stool transfer. Then i spoke with my primary doctor and said stool transfer was in the process of being approved, this of course gave me hope. In the meantime i found a taper schedule on this site:

Vancomycin 125 mg 4x/day for 2 weeks
125 mg 2x/day for 7 days
125 mg 1x/day for 7 days
125 mg every 2 days for 8 days
125 mg every 3 days for 15 days

I figured how many scripts i needed considering liquid vanco has a shelf life of 15 days. So i started the taper! I was fighting bad cases of ringworm on various parts of body (still are but better) Kept having checkups with doctor throughout taper, and told me around the end of december is when i should be approved for stool transfer. Well i finished taper on December 17th and took lots of nature's way primadophilus reuteri, yogurt and acidophilus during AND after taper. The longest i went without signs of cdiff was probably 10 days. Its now been about 35 days and all is good!! Sadly im still numb throughout body but at least its numb and not a severe burning sensation or needle pricks which can happen with nerve damage.

Well....no IBS or colitis or any bowel problems!! And im eating anything i desire!! About 10 days ago i had appointment with my G.I and told him how i am cured because of a wonderful forum i found! I was curious about the stool transfer and asked him what happened with it.......To my surprise he had no idea what i was talking about.....I was so confused, yet i was happy I didnt call and to ask what was going on with because i think i would have had a nervous breakdown if they told me they had no idea what i was talking about after waiting for weeks for approval while i still had cdiff. I have appointment with my primary doctor next week and i dont think i want to even bring the stool transfer up in conversation.

I would just like to say that you have to research things on your own. My primary doctor never even mentioned a taper schedule and he shouldnt have prescribed that many antibiotics to me in the first place (he actually admitted this to me GASP) I never knew how bad antibiotics can be, let alone what cdiff was.

Even though i suffer from severe depression and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (which caused me to think of cdiff 24/7) I got through it!! And so can you!! Be strong and dont give up! Try to keep yourself busy and not just sitting and thinking.

So i would like to thank you all so very, very much!!
Thank you cdiffsupport.com!
Thanks to beth22 for stool transfer info!
Thanks to user LindaSp and Kimberly for posting taper schedule!
and last but not least thanks to all Admins and all who replied to my posts and messaged me!
Take care all and be strong.
Diagnosed with C Diff June 7th, 2009

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:20 pm

Great news! This is such a learning experience good and bad!
I wish you continued good health.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:33 pm

So happy to hear the good news. I've been thinking about you and praying for your recovery.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:55 am

jaredkemp,
Congrats. on participating in your own recovery!

Info. on tapering and pulsing is in FAQ-Pulse Dosing Regime/Tapering Schedule.

Again, congrats.

jaredkep
New User

Re: I am cured of cdiff after 7 month bout!!

Postby jaredkep » Wed May 04, 2011 3:47 am

Just wanted to check In real quick to say im still cdiff free! I do hope for the best For all current sufferers and have not forgot the pain and anguish it causes. Take care all.
Diagnosed with C Diff June 7th, 2009

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 04, 2011 3:55 pm

Congrats., jaredkep. Thanks for posting about your continued recovery and giving others hope. Glad the site helped you - we have great moderators and frequent posters. Hopefully some of the numbness will eventually get better.

JenniferH
Regular Contributor

Postby JenniferH » Thu May 12, 2011 12:07 pm

AWESOME!!! You deserve to be happy, congratulations!

Thank you for the post. Please continue to post on you progress, I love to read success stories

Return to “Success Stories”