6 years cdiff free

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
paulah
Regular Contributor

6 years cdiff free

Postby paulah » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:07 pm

I am posting my annual "cdiff free" story, I mark thanksgiving as the day my cdiff went away 6 years ago.
I had a major liver operation while having cdiff infection, no one knew I had cdiff. I started the cdiff infection the night before while doing the bowel prep, I was so sick I was afraid I WASN'T doing to die! After stomach operations, all the internal organs kind of take a holiday, so I had no bowel movements for three days after the operation. You can imagine what the cdiff bacteria did to my guts for the three days it was cooped up in my guts. It took 5 weeks in the hospital and 3 more weeks for the cdiff to give up.
6 years later...I have mild IBS from the cdiff, but I've learned to watch what I eat and take culturelle every third day, so my stomach is pretty calm most days. When I get a virus, the virus hits my weak guts first, but I know this and do not stress that it is cdiff again. I've survived 3 courses of a z-pak over the years and am very good at telling doctors what they are NOT going to do to me.
SO there is lots of life after cdiff!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:38 am

What an uplifting post, Paulah! Whoa, you really went through some hard times. I'm so happy for you, and I think it's wonderful that you still post 6 years past your C Diff date. I'm sure everyone here appreciates it!

Wishing you continued good health!

Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:58 am

paulah,
I remember you. Thanks for continuing to post.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun May 02, 2010 8:32 pm

ditto :)

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Mon May 03, 2010 12:37 pm

It's so nice that you take the time to keep us posted. Your story is very inspirational. I'm sure if anyone (as so many are) is having a bad day, your post will pick them up. God Bless!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

kitkatbek
Regular Contributor

Postby kitkatbek » Thu May 13, 2010 1:25 pm

That's an extremely encouraging story.

alert5
Brand New Poster

Re: 6 years cdiff free

Postby alert5 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:19 pm

I just got this. I am 40 year old male and very depressed all this is happening. It seems that everything you search for on the Internet are horror stories and how you may potentially live with this forever. I try to encourage myself by acknowledging that my case my be mild since I had a low fever for 2 hours and never reached 2 digits numbers on bathroom visits. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for posting that after so many years as this helps to calm many of us down during these very tough times.

God bless everyone and keep the faith!

kitkatbek
Regular Contributor

Re: 6 years cdiff free

Postby kitkatbek » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:05 pm

This illness does a number on your nerves as well as your intestines. The severity and healing process are so individual. I have learned so much and have been encouraged with this support group.

Return to “Success Stories”