Kimberly

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
LindaSp
Contributor

Kimberly

Postby LindaSp » Sat May 09, 2009 8:49 am

Oops, it appears I forgot my log on for the longest time. I want to share that Kimberly is 90+ days off her second round of Vancomycin. She eats as she pleases, finds her iffy days are increased in times of stress and has a better appetite!
She had Clindamycin after having her wisdom teeth out at 25 years old. She developed a UTI (not by culture) and took Cipro. She developed diarrhea and was found to have C Diff. She took 2 rounds of Flagyl (tolerated it well) and 2 rounds of Vanco. She eventually had a great ID doc on her team who prescribed the tapering dose of Vanco described in the New England Journal of Medicine.
More than that, she had this fabulous team on this web site. She started taking Culturelle, S. Boulardi and yogurt daily. She remains on these, although considering every other day of the S. because of cost! I feel these were key in helping re-establish her gut flora!
We learned how important it is to have an MD that understands and will listen.We learned how to speak up about lessons learned on this site.
She is very cautious about her food intake, eating quite healthy. She is vigilant about handwashing and exercise. We have emphasized adequate rest, decreasing stress (yeah, right) and slowly, slowly she is gaining confidence. We admire and care about each of you and know each of you will feel better.
Thanks so much......

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:15 pm

Congratulations to Kimberly! And to you too! I wish her and you all the best. It is wonderful to read about her success. Success stories are what kept me going in my early days of cdiff. Thanks so much for sharing yours.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 10, 2009 1:26 am

LindaSp,
Congrats. on Kimberly's success story. Glad the site was helpful.

What was the tapering dosage that was successul? It might be helpful to others.

You are a nurse, correct? Please keep educating your co-workers on this nasty disease & continue to post to suppport others.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Tue May 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Congrats to Kimberly, also thank you Linda for the support and info via PMs. I believe your daughter followed nearly the same taper/pulse as I am doing. Would be very helpful to others if you could post it for comparison or so.
Take care, and both of you ,enjoy!!~
Hoping for a cure.

LindaSp
Contributor

Postby LindaSp » Wed May 13, 2009 10:30 pm

I just got this from Kimberly, now 98 days off meds!

Prescribed for her 3rd reoccurence:
Vancomycin 125 mg 4x/day (4 times a day) for 14 days,then
125 mg 2x/day for 7 days, then
125 mg 1x/day for 7 days, then
125 mg every 2 days for 8 days (4 doses)
125 mg every 3 days for 15 days (5 doses)!

Hope others are able to post in this success forum by using this tapering dosage!
Thanks for all the support!
I have been spreading the word through my nursing connections for sure!
Linda

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 15, 2009 3:34 am

Thx., Linda. Our best to you and Kimberly.

Kimberly's tapering schedule is copied in FAQ-Pulse Dosing Regime/Tapering Schedule. Remember, "run" any treatment by your own doctor.

Return to “Success Stories”