Brytons Big Day!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Brytons Big Day!

Postby anlockwood » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:30 pm

So happy to be able to post here for my son!! A little background on his ordeal. When he was 5 months old, he contracted c diff from me. He was taking Amoxicillan, Augmentin and then Rocepherin(sp?) shots. He was hospitalized for a few days because of dehydration and not keeping Flagyl down. If you think that stuff tastes nasty swallowing it, imagine grinding it up and then putting it in liquid and having it float around your mouth. Needless to say it was impossible to get him to not gag. He did finish the 2 weeks and did very well until 73 days post treatment. He then caught some stomach bug, probably Norovirus and relapsed from it. This time the docs insisted on trying Flagyl again. He went 5 days with no treatment because he vomitted every drop we put in him. We kept pushing the dr to try Vanco. After a night in the ER for rehydration they finally tried vanco. It was amazing he took it like a pro and never ever had issues with it. He kept looking at us each time we got the syringe out and scrunching his face but as soon as we put it in him mouth with the vanco he would look at us like thats it? This time we did a taper with vanco I believe it was about 5 1/2 weeks in all. He is now 90 days plus a few. We just feel so blessed to have him healthy for now!! Our strength through all of this was God.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:24 am

Congratulations to Bryton! And to you! You have both been through so much, both having cdiff. It is wonderful to hear that Bryton has beaten it too! Hurray! Thanks for letting us know. And thank you so much for everything you do on the site. You are such a fine support to so many people here.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:06 am

Congratulations! What a wonderful Easter gift :-) I'm so glad to hear you and your son are doing well!

Wishing you both continued good health...

Karen

JohnB
Contributor

Postby JohnB » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:36 am

This is great to hear. I feel so bad for toddlers who have to go through this! Wishing you and your son the best.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:11 am

That is great to hear Amanda! May you and your family have a great Easter as well! Enjoy~
Hoping for a cure.

Return to “Success Stories”