I hope it's not premature, but I also hope this is helpful!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
markjs
New User

I hope it's not premature, but I also hope this is helpful!

Postby markjs » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:21 am

Well it's March and I am still seemingly free of C-Diff. My case seems to be a bit different still though. It never was antibiotics that kicked this off so far as I can tell but it was rather proton pump inhibitors (Prilosec OTC). I had to stop the Prilosec to get an H pylori breath test, and I did some reading and the cutting edge research says the proton pump inhibitors put you at risk for C-Diff. So I decided to stay off them but I am taking H2 blockers and while they are somewhat effective, I still have to eat a good amount of Tums sometimes. So one day I said screw it and took a Prilosec. What followed was horrible burp gas with that telltale foul smell! I immediately discontinued the Prilosec and don't intend to ever take it again. II have H2 blockers and Tums and there are natural ways to tone down the heartburn, and I'd rather live with it than C-Diff.

I hope this helps other sufferers!

forbin
New User

Postby forbin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. Taking a PPI is a risk factor for developing C Diff.

I was on Prilosec every day and got C Diff during IV Encef for a blood infection. I'm off Flagyl now for 10 days and am getting better. I tried to stop the Prilosec but on the third day I had the worst heartburn and reflux that I had to go back on. My ID doc wanted me to stop the Prilosec, but we agreed that I would try taking it every other day.

I would also rather live with an occasional heartburn and take Tums, but I've tried everything short of surgery for the GERD and only a PPI works. Nevertheless, it is possible to take PPIs and recover from C Diff, though it ups your risk for a recurrence.

Return to “Success Stories”