Sucess Story with Asacol and Questran

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
pdr
Brand New Poster

Sucess Story with Asacol and Questran

Postby pdr » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi All,

I wanted to post my success story. I am allergic to penicillin, sulfonamides, and cephlasporins. I got C.Diff after treatment with clindamycin for a dental infection. It did not respond to treatment with flagyl or vanco. C. Diff was confirmed resistant to flagyl when antibiotic sensitivity testing was done on the stool. (The lab didn't run vanco on stool/only blood but my doctor thinks it was resistant to vanco as well since I didn't respond to vanco treatment)

After one month on Asacol (2 tabs every 6 hours), Questran (1 packet daily), S. Boulardii (1 cap of 5 billion/day), and Acidophilus (1 cap of 3 billion/day), I am C. Diff free. (no toxin in the stool) and have had no symptoms for a month. Asacol has mild antibacterial effects and antiinflammation activity. It is used for treating IBD. I was lucky there was no allergic cross reaction as Asacol has chemical similarity to sulfites.

Hope this might work for others.

pdr
PDR

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:59 pm

pdr.
Congrats. on your recovery & thx. for the info.

Clindamycin is nasty stuff -- lst antibiotic ever implicated in C. diff.

Return to “Success Stories”