Frustrated in RI - I think I beat it!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
solaceh20
New User

Frustrated in RI - I think I beat it!

Postby solaceh20 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:42 pm

First of all, I want to offer my sincere thanks and gratitude to everyone on this site as the advice, stories, and referrals have made this battle a little easier.

After doing a lot of research, I convinced my gastroenterologist to preform a fecal infusion during a colonoscopy. It seems to have worked!! It's been a long road but I am hopeful that c. diff may be in my past.

I still suffer from post-infectious IBS but it does not compare to the c. diff symptoms. I have been diligently taking probiotics VSL # 3 DS and have boosted my immune system with the help of a naturopathic physician and nutritional program www.amouthfulofhealth.isagenix.com. Please remember that this is not medical advice but simply what worked for me.

Please contact me with any questions about the research I've done, my experience, or the name of my doctor in Rhode Island.

Good news, I read in NY Times that theres a drug in clinical trials that seems to work better than vanco...here's to hoping that it passes through the FDA.

I know how awful this infection is and am always here to support anyone as I've cherished the support I received from this site.

My battle with c. diff has propelled my interest in health and wellness as I hope to attend naturopathic medical school next year.

Thank you for everything.

Here's to staying c. diff negative, treatment options, and eventually a cure.

Lara

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi Lara, I'm glad to hear you beat this thing! I'm replying because I'm also in Rhode Island and had awful experiences with GIs.

Anyway, I've hopefully beat this awful disease with just two rounds of Flagyl, but I still have what I think are IBS like reactions from time to time. I'm at over 70 days without a relapse right now (confirmed via two tests at 35 & 60 days after Flagyl), and things are currently normal for me.

What GI did you go to? I still have a follow up appointment with one on Dec. 15, but considering my flare ups of assumed IBS only last a week at most, I feel like there isn't much for the GI to do. Still, in case I do need a better GI one day, I'm curious as it sounds like you found a good one.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:36 am

Lara,
Congratulations on beating cdiff! Hurray! That is wonderful. I am very happy to read your success story. Thanks so much for posting it. Thanks too for saying that you will stay on the site to help others. We appreciate it. Take care and enjoy life.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:15 pm

Congrats., Lara, & thx. for the thx. & the "tips." What doesn't work for one sometimes works for someone else. Most of all, C. diff. is a "trial & error" infection. Pls. continue to post to encourage others.

Again (for the l millionth time), this is a support site & not a medical site & lists only the things people have tried -- with or w/o success.

Good luck to all. Amazing, isn't it, how a disease that is now so prevelant is still so little known!
Last edited by Bobbie on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:45 pm

Congratulations, Lara! I remember when you were so sick and I'm THRILLED that you're feeling well! I didn't see you on much for a while and wondered how you were doing. I'm so happy that the infusion/s and other things you did appear to have worked! Thanks so much for posting here and I wish you continued good health!

Karen

solaceh20
New User

Re: Frustrated in RI - I think I beat it!

Postby solaceh20 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I know it's been awhile since I have posted to the site. I am happy to report that I had a fecal transplant in October of 2008 and my intestines have never been better!! Since that time, I have been working with the gastroenterologist that was brave enough to advocate for me having the procedure. She is currently trying to get a clinical trial funded to provide more evidence that this procedure should be the first line of treatment and performed more readily.

Also after my struggles with c.diff I was able to go back to school and will be starting my education to become a naturopathic physician this summer. I hope to specialize in intestinal health as I believe it's the connecting factor to many conditions. Anyway, I hope to someday write a book or memoir about my experiences with c.diff including the process of advocating for myself and others as well as the success I had with the fecal transplant.

If anyone would like any info about the transplant or needs to vent feel free to contact me via private message. I am currently in the Rhode Island/Massachusetts area.

This is an epidemic and more & more deaths are occurring as well as the threat of healthy individuals becoming sick due to the antibiotic resistant strain that appears to have struck the US in the past few years.

Keep the faith.

Return to “Success Stories”