70 days C Diff Free

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
hsegel
New User

70 days C Diff Free

Postby hsegel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:59 pm

After 2 relapses and tapering doses of vancomycin over a 4 month period, I decided that my last taper and pulse would be very, very slow. I followed the vanco with 3 weeks of tapering activated charcoal (3 times a week for 1 week, 2 times a week 2nd week, and 1 time a week third week). I hadn't tried the charcoal before and I don't know if that was what did it, but today is 70 days free of c diff. I also tapered Culturelle, Saccharomces Boulardii (Florastor but cheaper) and Jarro-Dophilus +FOS the same way I did the vanco and activated charcoal, and I now take Culturelle and Saccharmoces Boulardii 2 times a day and will continue until the end of the year. So far, so good. Hope this information might help someone else.
Helen

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:32 pm

Interesting approach. My sincere congratulations. You must feel so relieved. Life really looks different after such an ordeal.

iluvmydogs
Regular User

Postby iluvmydogs » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:27 pm

That is great news!
"Friends don't let friends take Flouroquninolones"

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:45 pm

hsegel,
Hurray! I am so glad to hear of your success. That's terrific! Since I haven't heard of using activated charcoal for cdiff, I'm interested to learn more about how you did it. Where did you buy it? Pills or ? What strength? How did you decide how much to take? I'd appreciate any info.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:48 am

Congrats keep your fingers crosssed and remeber the 3 day rule! :)

hsegel
New User

70 days C Diff Free

Postby hsegel » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:07 pm

Hi Nancy,
At the end of the vanco and probiotics I started taking 260 mgs of activated charcoal that I bought over the counter at a pharmacy. They give activated charcoal to people who have been poisoned because it binds to them (along with everything else so you have to take it 2 hours before or after vitamins, meds, food, etc). I tapered and pulsed the vanco to 3 x week, then 2 x week and didn't relapse. I figured the charcoal would bind to any spores that hatched and take care of them. I don't know if it worked or if I would have not relapsed this time, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I also was on the vanco and probiotics continousouly for several months and tapered very, very slowly. Also, I think I had a mild case of c-diff this time because the vanco worked right away and I could eat anything I wanted without a problem. I hope this information helps, but a I said, I don't know if the charcoal played a part or not.
Helen

Return to “Success Stories”