Here At Last :)

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Jenny
Regular Contributor

Here At Last :)

Postby Jenny » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm so happy the board is up and running again, though I have not been peeking in too much. I have my mum, dad, sister and her 3 yr old staying with me. My brother in law was here for a few weeks too before he set out to Iraq. It's been a very busy 8 weeks and still another 6+ weeks before my parents house is finished.

Stress levels have been pretty high but touch wood ;) no relapse. I am on day [b]93[/b] post meds. It has been a rough road but I have met some wonderful people on this site who made it much more bearable. Great advice and support which I can not imagine what I would have done without.

What Finally worked for me was seeing an aggressive ID Dr who put me on a month of vanco 1000mg (250mg x 4) daily with a rifax chaser for 2 weeks. Absolutely no other meds, no probiotics not even a tylenol! I have not had any new labs done. I feel great in that regard and have even gained back all but 5lbs of the 26+lbs I lost.

I am back on my culturelle, primadophilus reuteri pearls and RA meds. I had hoped to avoid going back on methotrexate and prednisone. If you recall I was going to take enbrel which has less impact on gut flora. After testing + for latent TB I started a/b's for 9 months of which I have completed almost 3 months with no side effects. Unfortunatley I still have to complete the course even though I no longer take enbrel. Long story short, I ended up in my PCP office hooked up to a crash cart. I had an allergic reaction to the shots I was giving myself. Pericarditis with complications. No driving, and no stairs for weeks, high doses of prednisone and inhalers. All very scary but luckily I had my family living with me to take care of me and my kids.

Like I said, a rough road. Often obstacles are thrown in our way but you know what you do get there in the end.

Well wishes to you all.

Take Care

Jenny
Last edited by Jenny on Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:19 pm

So wonderful to hear Congrats Jenny! Please stay in touch with us and post to encourage others that are still suffering.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:50 pm

Jenny,
It's wonderful to read your success story! Hurray! You have really been through a lot. It's so good to hear that you've made it. I wish you all the best.

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:48 pm

Jenny
YEA!!!!!!! Congrats.

Purrle
Brand New Poster

Postby Purrle » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:38 pm

Hello, I am a member of this site, but don't know how to post an original post. I guess this response will get through to someone that will tell me how.I have had C diff for 4 1/2 months after being treated by urologists for UTIs. I really enjoy reading the success stories. My gastrointerologist and I have a new method of attack that has been tested by the CDC successfully which we are going to try with this latest round of Vanco.

Purrle

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:47 pm

Jenny it's so great to hear from you. I wondered where you had gone and hoped you were doing well. Congrats on your success I'm so happy the ID doctor figured out what you needed to finally be free of the c-diff. My son Connor turned one on the 5th if you can believe that. I can't believe it's been a year since I first came down with c-diff. Congrats again Jenny I couldn't be happier for you!!!!

cjforrest
New User

Postby cjforrest » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Purrle, what is your "new method of attack" that has been tested successfully by the CDC? I'm going on 8 months w/ CD and am still on vanco. Can you please share with us?
Thanks!
CJ

rimbaud
New User

Postby rimbaud » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:08 am

Jenny-

Just to be sure I understand you correctly, you were taking 4000mg (4 grams) of Vanco per day? Or 1000mg /day split into four doses?

monacat
Contributor

yea.. i wanna know too..

Postby monacat » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:15 am

if you get confirmation of this dose let me know because that seems a bit much. and i was worried about taking 4x250 for a month! i am not a doctor but isn't 4x1000 a bit dangerous? pls let me know if you get a response, i am curious.

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:31 pm

You're absolutely right! My fault. It was 1000mg daily. 250mg x 4. I was actually taking Vancocin a generic at 500mg 4 x a day = 1000mg of Vancomycin.

Sorry, Hope this clears things up.

Jenny

Return to “Success Stories”