I can't believe I'm really here!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

I can't believe I'm really here!

Postby klt03301 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:24 pm

For the newbies and the ones still suffering...it's been a journey, for sure, but I can tell you that you will get better! Everyone here told me that and I had such a hard time believing it. It took some time, and it's only been 5 months for me, but most days I feel great. I didn't really feel I'd turned a corner until the 4th month out. It's been 121 days since my last vanco. I know others have suffered much longer. I was expecting to just take the meds and poof*...it would be gone. Well, I believe the C Diff was under control, but it took months after that to improve. I took 2 rounds of vanco, the second round did me no good, so maybe I had kicked the bug and was just going through recovery. I'm eating pretty much what I want (except lettuce, raw broccoli and cauliflower). Fiber is still hard on me. That's a long way from crackers and pedialyte for 1 1/2 months. I do pay for that at times, but it's just abdominal soreness; nothing else. My energy level is incredible! I got down to 98 pounds...lost 20, and with the help of Ensure (when I was finally able to tolerate it), Kefir and yogurt smoothies, I have been putting my weight back on. That also took a while. I think the probiotics helped me a great deal and I still take them and eat yogurt daily. I know you all are going through your own personal hell and I spent many, many days sick, crying and miserable, thinking I'd spend the rest of my life this way. Got some good anxiety meds, which helped. Please keep your chin up...I posted many times about my discouragement and fear, and every time, someone here helped me. Here's something interesting...prior to C Diff I had IBS with awful cramping and explosive "D" since I was 19 years old. I'm 47. It would come and go. Now, I don't have any cramping or "D". Just some soreness. Maybe it's the probiotics; I don't know. Rest and time and actually putting good food back into your tummy (when you can) are going to be the best things, in my opinion. There is a light at the end of this tunnel and I thank God for every good day I have now. It's like I'm getting to start over and my joy in just the little things is so much greater! I'll be posting my case history later. I want to send out some special thanks to those that helped me more than they'll ever know...Marscan...what an incredibly kind and compassionate person you are. Hugs, to you, my friend! I'll NEVER forget your kindness to me. Your encouragment has been invaluable. Carrie, JenKelly, Roy, Vike and Fire...you all encouraged me and gave me hope. Roy, I truly appreciated your frankness with me. I was a worrier and you helped me to tame that somewhat. To the Adminsitrators and Moderators...I know you have a tough job and volunteer here to make this site what it is and keep it going. I'll be forever grateful to you, and for your responses to my posts.

I have been left with a fissure, but it will heal in time, I'm sure. Not a big deal in my life, but a reminder to take care of myself. It took me this long to post here because the fear is still there that it will come back. I've never experienced fear that has been this crippling. If it does come back, I know what to do, thanks to all of you. I pray it doesn't.

So...keep plugging along with the knowledge that you will improve and get your life back! Feel free to PM me anytime. I try to stay on here to encourage others as I have been. Having friends here has been excellent medicine!

Hugs to you all and you're all in my prayers! Karen

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:02 am

Hurray, Karen! It is wonderful to read your Success Story! I'm so glad for you. I surely hope that you keep on feeling better. Success stories were what I read over and over in my early days of cdiff. Thank you too for continuing to post and encourage others. That means so much.

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:13 am

Yeeeeeeeeeeee hawwwwwwww Karen!! Thank you so much for the kind words, and for posting your story! There was nothing more encouraging for me than reading about those that beat the beast. All my best!!
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:39 am

Congrats Karen! Just know that there probably will be some bumps that you will hit on your "recovery road" but, at least the worse is behind you!!
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:52 pm

Thank you all so much! I still find myself keeping all my fingers and toes crossed and that will probably stay w/me for a while. I'm sure I'll have some rough days in the future, and I still have some "iffy" days, but nothing like the first 4 months. I handle the iffy days pretty well. I continue to introduce new foods each day, and so far, so good. When I got it, this is where I would come every day to feel encouraged, so I wanted to post my story so others might find comfort knowing one more person feels they've gotten their life back. It's changed my life and I know I have to be more careful about some things for the rest of my life, but that's ok...I'm very satisifed to be at the point I am. Thanks again so very much to all of you!

Karen

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Yesterday was my 1 year anniversary of C-Diff diagnosis

Postby klt03301 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi all. Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm doing wonderfully! I'm eating normally now...even back to coffee every now and then and ate some raw broccoli last week. Had a shot (just a shot) of scotch to celebrate and went with my family to Myrtle Beach last weekend.

It's been the hardest year of my life. I did well for a few months during the summer, then PI IBS hit me in October and I didn't feel well through December. I've had 1 bad day since Christmas day! My IBS is getting much better as time goes by. Had to change my diet, but it's much healthier than before. I continue to take probiotics and probably will for the rest of my life. Exercising has been my saving grace, I think. It's kept me semi-sane :-) I've gained all but 5 pounds of my weight back.

I want to thank all of you who have helped me get through this. I don't know what I would have done without this support group! Special thanks to Bobbie, CindyM, Feelinghopeful, Roy, Fire, Vike, Jen, Carrie, Suezer, Heather, Hua Kual, Trob...the list could go on and if I've left anyone out...please know I felt you were there for me!

I was in a pretty deep depression during all of this. Even though I took only 2 rounds of Vanco, it took this long to get my intestinal flora back to where I'm feeling well. That has been my biggest struggle.

For those of you who feel you will never overcome this...YOU WILL! It takes longer for some of us, but you'll eventually get there, too!

Last year at this time I could barely get out of bed. This is what I did to celebrate my one year anniversary...it was exhilarating and really let me know I'm back to my old self again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WidP2IjuYE

My family and I got a really good laugh from it and I hope you do, too!, I struggled but was finally able to do 3 back flips. Life is so SWEET!

Hugs to all of you!

Karen

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:04 pm

That is hilarious!!!!!!!!!! The commentary is great, too. Sounds like you have a supportive and loving family. That's so important in life.

I hope you get better and better and thank you so much for mentioning me in the list of people who helped you. That made me feel really good.

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:02 am

Karen,
what a happy post to read. I'm glad you are feeling so much better and having fun with your family! It's been quite a journey on this site but it is wonderful knowing you can be having a rotten day and so you post your feelings or concerns on the board and in no time at all you have several positive replys to get you through another day. Keep enjoying each and every day. Hopefully your post will have an impact on those who are still struggling at this time. Keep well! I'm not close to doing the broccoli or coffee thing yet but my fitness level is sure improving so I'm happy with that.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:16 pm

Feelinghopeful: My family and the people on this site have been a Godsend to me! I'm glad you got a good laugh from the video. I hope it does give people some encouragement when they're feeling they'll never recover from C-Diff.

Carrie: I'm SO happy that your fitness level is improving! As you know, you're doing one of the best things you can for yourself to help you overcome your PI IBS, keep up your strength and stay well. I was literally having dreams about drinking coffee, so I just said, "go for it". I started out with hot chocolate and that went fine. I added a small amount of coffee to the hot chocolate, and that was fine. I finally started small amounts of coffee and I was amazed I handled it well. I still don't drink it every day, but it's good to know I can have some if I want. I did the same with the raw broccoli...very small amounts. I hope to get back to my raw foods diet one day, but that will take quite some time. I'm having dreams now about raw spinach for a salad. I think I'll try small amounts of that soon :-O

Wishing all the best of health!

Karen

MarTinLoWrrenCe
Brand New Poster

Re: I can't believe I'm really here!

Postby MarTinLoWrrenCe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:23 am

Keep enjoying each and every day. Hopefully your post will have an impact on those who are still struggling at this time. Keep well! I'm not close to doing the broccoli or coffee thing yet but my fitness level is sure improving so I'm happy with that.

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Re: I can't believe I'm really here!

Postby gm37 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 am

First, let me give you the standard introduction: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST and its subtopics - especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site and and answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's and Dr. McDonald's articles and some of the topics in CDI - formerly FAQ - especially Hygiene, Nutrition and Testing.

The majority (almost 80%) recovers with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin, but an unlucky smallpercentage does not and can suffer for months. Everyone eventually recovers, however, unless other factors are involved such as advanced age or severe health problems. If antibiotics contributed to your c diff, be careful about taking them again. (See CDI - Antibiotics). Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop c diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article). For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org or peggymemorial on Facebook and read the information on The Mayo Clinc website.

MarTin,
I am giving you the official welcome. I am confused since you are responding to a three year old post. If you need help or have questions, please post them in a different area on the site....questions about c-diff....You will get more response there.
Anne

Return to “Success Stories”