The worst is over now!!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Karien
Regular User

The worst is over now!!

Postby Karien » Wed May 21, 2008 6:19 pm

It's been over 100 days since the last Vanco and I am doing good :-) I cannot believe I finally beat this monster and I am walking around with a big grin on my face. Life is good!!

It all seems like a terrible nightmare now, which started last November 2007 when I contracted CDiff and subsequently Pseudo Membrane Colitis from Amoxillin for strep throat.

I was on Metro and Vanco; after that lots of probiotics. I had a very rough time all these months and there were times in the beginning, where I didn't think I was going to make it. The island where I live, has no medical facilities to speak of and it was really scary at times. There is no ER here and no 911.

Then I found this site and I learned all about CDiff that you could possibly learn. I knew that the AB's I was taking against the CDIFF were the right thing, and that I should take certain probiotics. I felt that I could handle it then, even without a doctor to support me through this.

About 2 weeks ago, almost from one day to the next, things were different and I knew I was over the worst. I think it was the turn around where the good guys in my colon finally took over. That's what it felt like anyway.

Once in a while I have a little IBS, but I can handle that. Certain foods don't agree with me, and even that is getting better. And for Roy, I stay away from that vindaloo a little bit longer :-)!

My advice to you is, try to live your life as normal as you can. Even on the bad days, try to do positive things, like exercising and walking.
Try to avoid stress during this time, it goes straight down to your tummy.
Keep up your social life, friends are a great distraction.
Watch what you eat very carefully. Eat healthy and try to stick with it even when you start feeling better.
And for me personally, the probiotics were a good thing.

I don't know if I'll be able to be on the site very much, my life is very busy right now. But I will keep checking in once in a while when I can.

I want to thank you all for the great support! I don't know what I would have done without you!

Good health and all the best to you all!
Karien

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:41 pm

Karien,
That's great news! I'm so glad for you. I'm sure that it wasn't easy, to fight cdiff without much medical support where you live. So I'm really glad that you found the site helpful. It's great for so many reasons, that we have this online group. Take care and enjoy life.

Karien
Regular User

Postby Karien » Wed May 21, 2008 7:58 pm

Thank you for your good spirits Nancy!
Karien

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 22, 2008 1:45 am

Karien.
I remember you but don't think you've posted for awhile. I know at one time you thought about coming to the US for treatment.

I so agree with your approach to C. diff.: Exercise (if possible), eating healthy, staying busy. Doesn't "cure" you but does make life more bearable.

Thx. for posting in Success Stories to encourage others, and do "check in" with us now & then.

Karien
Regular User

Postby Karien » Thu May 22, 2008 9:29 am

Yes, that was me. I wanted to fly into the U.S. and check myself into a clinic in Florida. Glad now that I didn't. I am not crazy about clinics and doctors anyway.
I'll stay in touch! Thanks Bobbie!
Karien

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 22, 2008 2:21 pm

karein,
Ditto. Not crazy about docs., hospitals either, but don't envy you living in a place without them.

I lost a lot of confidence in docs. when I had C. diff. I went to Mayo (where they diagnosed me with IBS -- I was on Vanco. at the time & told them so) & the U. of MI Med. Center. A GI here in town (KC) "cured" me with his "broth." Ironical, isn't it?

Glad you are finally well.

Return to “Success Stories”