16 months and a baby later....

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
RN092504
Regular User

16 months and a baby later....

Postby RN092504 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:58 pm

I finally found the time to lend some hope to those dealing with c.diff. It dawned on me the other day that I have been c.diff free for nearly 16 months. I will forever have issues (I now have fibromyalgia as a result) and will probably be forever poor...but I'm alive. I'm relatively healthy. And I have a healthy, beautiful baby.

In July of 2005 I was first diagnosed. A long long long gory process ensued with scopes, vanc, losing 30 pounds and pretty much losing my career in the process. Nine months I couldn't work.

On April 17, 2006 I recieved two bits of incredible news. I was c.diff free, and I was pregnant. We didn't exactly plan to get pregnant that soon. I honestly didn't think that I could get pregnant, just coming off the c.diff. The fact that I concieved so soon suprised everyone....especially my husband.

Throughout my pregnancy, I was terrified. I was so afraid of getting an infection and having to go on antibiotics and again dealing with the diff. I was afraid I would be GBS positive and have to get IV antibiotics during labor. I was relieved when I was GBS negative.

I was extra extra careful. With the fibro too, I took extra care of myself. I had found employment full-time right before I got pregnant. I immediatly found another job where I could work part time (and because I didn't like the job). So from my second trimester on, I worked part time in a doctor's office as a telephone triage nurse. And its a pain clinic too, so no really sick patients. And I didn't have to touch them either. I was so OCD about germs and hand washing. In addition to getting enough rest, eating right. It all paid off, I had no complications and had an easy delivery. My daughter was born completely healthy.

She is now eight months old, healthy, happy, thriving. I am back at work doing telephone triage and occasionally picking up work in psyciatric nursing. I have been advised to no longer work at the bedside or in hospitals for fear that I'll catch a different strain. My former employer settled out of court to cover the 9 months of salary I missed while being sick. I could've sued for wrongful termination, but I really don't want to do the court thing again. The money barely covered my medical bills.

Since I still have the fibro, and will forever, I can't work anywhere near full time (or part time). My husband, my daughter and I are in the process of moving into my parent's house because we are still in debt from the 9 months I was initially sick with the c.diff, and the reduction in income related to the pregnancy and the fibro. Hopefully we can get out of debt and learn to live with my limited ability to work.

Everytime I get a stomach bug, that familiar fear comes up...what if I'm relapsing? When my daughter had a lovely string of stomach issues (reflux, gastroenteritis and finally salmonella) I had near panic attacks worrying about passing the c.diff on to her. As a result of this fear, everytime I have more than one day of diarrhea, I send it to be tested. The doctor just indulges me, just writes the script. And as of June, I am still c.diff negative.

During my initial illness, I did interviews for the media. Out of the blue a few months ago, a woman contacted me. She searched the internet, found my name and looked me up. I didn't mind. I was glad I could help her realize she wasn't alone. That was the first time I realized that some good could come out of my horrible experience.

My parents also use my experience with their nursing students. They put some major fear into their 'kids' in order to help them realize the c.diff is a bad bug and that they should ALWAYS use good handwashing practices and infection control.

I survived. And I'm optimistic I'll survive any relapses in the future.
I will survive ~AAM

mayotte
Contributor

Thanks

Postby mayotte » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:37 pm

It is always so helpful to read sucess stories. It gives hope to those of us still fighting the battle. Thanks

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:06 am

What a wonderful story. Congrats on beating C-diff and also on your wonderful new family. Thanks for being such an advocate about c-diff. I find most don't listen but I have tried as well. You are in a position to make a difference throughout the health care community. Keep up the great work an enjoy your daughter.

Peace and continued good health.

Christina

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Congrats...

Postby TheVike » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:49 am

incredible story did you apply for disability at all? What how did your emplyers handle the situation???

RN092504
Regular User

employment and finances

Postby RN092504 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:23 am

I applied for workman's comp because I was a nurse in the ICU and taking care of c.diff patients constantly. The hospital I worked at during that time didn't take the threat of c.diff seriously, and didn't strictly enforce their infection control policies. I don't believe I would've contracted c.diff if I had not been exposed through my occupation. When I wasn't able to return to my former position (ICU, night turn, full time) six months after my initial leave, they fired me. The hospital settled out of court for my lost wages during that time.

The settlement barely covered my medical costs...and the costs of having a baby the next year threw us through a loop, so we're moving back in with my parents and trying to get our finances in order.

No one realizes that you absolutely CANNOT work while you are really sick with c.diff. You're in the bathroom constantly...you're weak and in pain. You don't want to be out of the house, let alone at work, trying to do a job. This illness can seriously ruin the finances of people.....
I will survive ~AAM

Return to “Success Stories”