might be premature, but i think its gone for now

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
dayle
New User

might be premature, but i think its gone for now

Postby dayle » Wed May 16, 2007 9:45 am

I think i have come through the other end of the tunnel , finally. I was in hospital for 2 months with c. diff-and at one point really didn't think i was going to make it. I have progressive ms with a neurogenic bowel and diverticulitis to start with, and a paralyzed esophagus so maintaining nutrition became a crisis. I dropped so much weight-started at about 140 and ended up at 82 llbs.

I had been on 3 rounds of flagyl with no real response. It would ease up the pain for a few days, and i would relapse with 48 hours of stopping.

Finally vancomycin seemed to do the trick. I noticed a big improvement in 48 hours, and went on a tapering dose over 6 weeks, along with florastor and HMF replete.

It took weeks at home, working with dieticians and physiotherapists-but i am back on my feet at 94 llbs, eating well. I still get unpredictable bowel movements occasionally and have to watch not to overdo the fibre intake. Alternately i get bouts of constipation. There is a week bit of blood in my stools, but the GI dr said the tissues were prretty traumatized, gave me a script to help. There is NO pain.

I saw the GI dr this week for the first time since disccharge March9. He could not believe he was looking at the same person. He was quite pleased with himself ...lol(he figured it out after 3 other GI docs and surgeons missed it). He saved my life i think-not to sound overdramatic or anything, but he really did. He couldn't beleive i was walking-i was totally bedridden. He couldn't beleive i had strength of voice back. (I had been so weak i was raspy and short of breath). My BP is back to normal(it has dropped very low). My joints are not aching.

My urologist consulted with him about what to do with my UTI infections-i have a chronic issue with it. We are going to try sulfa drugs first, then go to macrobid.

I still tire easily and need a nap mid day. Overall i am so darn happy to see this gone and i hope it stays gone.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 18, 2007 1:23 pm

Dayle,
Most UTI's are caused by E. coli & respond to Macrobid. It is considered the "safest" antibiotic. See FAQ-Antibiotics. Also see FAQ-UTI's for some "hints" on avoiding them.

Try Ensure or Boast to help gain back weight. See FAQ-Nutrition.

Glad you are doing better.

dayle
New User

Postby dayle » Fri May 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Thanks Bobbie. Its good to know macrobid is a safer choice. I had been on norofloxicin, cipro, clindamycin and amoxicillan in the months leading up to c. diff..i honestly think it was the cipro that first started it, and when they gave me clindamycin for what they thought was an inflammed bowel-it just about finished me off.

Lots of great advice here, and it calmed my nerves during recuperation to know recovery was possible.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 18, 2007 10:35 pm

dayle,
See FAQ-Antibioticcs. Cipro, Amox. not good, but Clindamycin is a real "baddy."

Do try cranberry juice -- or pills - to prevent UTI's. Some on the site have good luck with D. Mannoose.

Drink lots of water, but even that can be overdone. Think 8-10 glasses a day is still considered "good." Check with your doc. -- -preferably a urologist. No baths; showers only, etc. Again, see FAQ-UTI's.

Luck to you! Glad the site has been helpful. You are not alone.

jennie
Regular Contributor

Postby jennie » Sat May 19, 2007 4:01 am

dayle -- It is wonderful to hear of how you have recovered from severe c.diff. Wishing you every possible success in continuing to get well.

On UTI's, Bobbie has mentioned some of us having success with Waterfall D-Mannose, which is a natural sugar, extracted from larch wood, that attaches to and flushes out e-coli. It is an entirely natural product, that can be used instead of antibiotics.

We have had quite a bit of discussion about it on site, a search would yield these posts.

The purest form of the Mannose is from a company in the UK, Sweet Cures of York; and they indicate that it ought not to be used with cranberry.

The link to their site is: www.waterfall-d-mannose.com

My mother was having a very tough time with UTI's, and could not bear to take any more antibiotics (in particular after what happened to me!) Mannose has completely turned the situation around. It happens that samples are turned in after a few days on Mannose, and the infection has gone. She lives in London, and so is able to obtain the product from York, but they do ship abroad, at some cost. There are related products in the US, which Bobbie knows about? UK product probably is the best there is.

The other great thing about Mannose (if it works for you), is that one can take a maintenance dose, after the acute infection has been dealt with, to prevent the infection occuring again.

As with everything, it is of course best to research it oneself, and discuss with one's physicians.

Please PM me if you have questions, or wish to discuss.

Return to “Success Stories”