5th Round was a knock-out!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

5th Round was a knock-out!

Postby Sheila1 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:15 am

I'm now at 128 days no meds. and no relapse. Hooray!

My last positive after finishing Vanco for 30 days was mild enough that Questran took care of the last of it and allowed my body to build up it's own defenses again. I haven't posted here earlier as I still have abdominal pains and bloating that really feel very similar to the mild cdiff, but I suppose is just IBS. Since the recent tests by my ID doc showed there were still some issues, I was waiting to see what happened. But I'm at the point where I shouldn't have to worry about cdiff relapse anyway, and that's a relief. IBS is definitely easier to deal and there are plenty of meds to help with it.

I'm walking again and exercising and working on getting my physical strength back up to where it was...and hoping to be riding the horses again before too long!

I'm working on several CDiff projects in hopes of helping to stamp out patient ignorance (because doctors don't tell them anything!) and, especially, ignorance in the medical field.

No one, absolutely no one, should have to go through what so many here have - an uneducated medical staff improperly treating the disease and/or lack of belief that "it's" back. No one should have to come to this site and say they learned more here than from their GI doctor.

My motto - "stamp out CDiff ignorance"

Eight months ago I read statements from the moderators and some regular members saying "it really does get better" and "eventually it does go away" and couldn't really fathom it in my post-septicemia state, nor after relapse upon relapse ...but they were right. It just took time. And patience. Thank goodness for their experience, their knowledge, their willingness to share, and their time spent answering questions and giving support. To all of you - your many kindnesses will not be forgotten.

God bless,
~Sheila

Laurie
Brand New Poster

Congratuations Sheila!!!

Postby Laurie » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:52 pm

Dear Sheila: My mom and I are so happy to hear the fabulous news. As you know, mom has been suffering with recurring C-diff since July 06. She is encouraged by your success story.

Happy Easter! Laurie and Donna

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:33 pm

Sheila,
Hooray for you. You are over the worst of it. Glad the site helped & thx. for your many valuable contributions to it.

IBS is another "pain in the ass" but far preferable to C. diff. I use Imodium & a heating pad & ocasionally Tylenol. There are meds., but I"ve have tried to stay away from them -- on enough meds. already. As you know, Zelnorm was just recalled.

Please continue to contribute to the site. Perhaps some day, some of us "hard core" C. differs will be able to do more toward educating the public and the medical field about this horrible disease.

Congrats again & Happy Easter.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:22 pm

Congratulations, Sheila! That's great news. I am so happy for you. What a way to celebrate Easter! Thank you too, for all of your contributions to the site. It's wonderful that you are devoting so much time and energy to helping all of us. I surely wish you well in everything, and especially in your cdiff projects.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:16 am

Here's to a job well done. Congratulations! I'm so glad you are c-diff free and just in time for the good weather. Enjoy and celebrate!!!!

Christina

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:17 pm

Congratulation Sheila! You did it!!!!!

Nan
Regular Contributor

Postby Nan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:12 pm

Fabulous! Congratulations! Your story will help the rest of us, who still fighting the good fight, inspired to keep moving forward with lots of hope.

Tammy
Contributor

Postby Tammy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:56 pm

Way to go,Im so happy for you.
Its been a long road but you made it.

Tammy
Tammy

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:19 pm

AWESOME!!! that is great news.. have a happy spring.. you can enjoy it .

Dyngo
Brand New Poster

Postby Dyngo » Tue May 01, 2007 11:08 pm

Sheila,

Word to what you said about doctor and patient ignorance about this. I had my infection for a month before tested and am convinced if treated earlier. . . Well, you know the rest. If it wasn't for this site, I don't know how I would have gotten through it, or gotten over it, for that matter. I had to lead my doctors by the nose, and even had to correct lab people on test prep and hold times. No kidding. And I think people tend to think it's just an infection, or just diarrhea, and how can that be a big deal? But it is actually a potential killer, and certainly a debilitator. I have done everything short of wearing a T-shirt saying "I had C-diff. Ask me how!" But I still feel like it isn't enough.

This is my first post. I'd like to thank everyone involved with this site. It is an amazing thing.
Florastor, Culturelle, yogurt, KEFIR, 40 gallons of Pedialyte (could have bought stock), 2 LONG rounds of Vanco (at my request), 4 clueless doctors and seven months of relapse. C-diff free for six months.

Dyngo
Brand New Poster

Postby Dyngo » Tue May 01, 2007 11:30 pm

Sheila,

I forgot to say congratulations! It took a long, long time for it to sink in for me that it wasn't necessarily coming back. I will probably always think of myself as a C-differ.
Florastor, Culturelle, yogurt, KEFIR, 40 gallons of Pedialyte (could have bought stock), 2 LONG rounds of Vanco (at my request), 4 clueless doctors and seven months of relapse. C-diff free for six months.

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:48 am

Dyngo,

When it really hit me just how little the general medical field knew about cdiff was when I read an RN posting on a nursing site - she had acquired cdiff and was very ill, she said "up until I got it, we all (fellow workers and doctors) thought it was 'just diarrhea'" It is far more than that with far and deep reaching effects; physically, emotionally, and psychologcially - and it effects the whole family.

I still have days when a symptom or two makes me wonder "uh oh, is it coming back...?" I don't panic, but there's still the sudden intake of breath on occasion... I'm sure that will eventually get better too.

SO glad you are feeling better too and helping to spread the word!
~Sheila

Return to “Success Stories”